As always, Schulich faculty, alumni, and students are heavily involved in the Festival international de Jazz de Montréal. From June 26 to July 6, 2019, take in some music at one of the festival's many sites as part of its 40th edition—the list below highlights a collection of Schulich-related acts performing this year organized by venue, several of which feature free admission.
Of special note this year is the opening of a new festival stage in Verdun as part of the FIJM's "festival hubs" initiative. Over the course of the next five years, a new "hub" will be created each year in a different Montreal borough offering free, high-quality programming. We're proud to see Schulich alumni performing in this new venue's inaugural year, including pianist Gentiane Michaud-Gagnon (MMus 2017, pictured), who was named ICI Musique's 2018-2019 Révélation Radio-Canada en jazz.
- Jacques Kuba Séguin Migrations: June 27 at 6:00 p.m.
- Samuel Blais Quartet with Ben Monder, Dan Weiss and John Hollenbeck: June 28 at 6:00 p.m.
- Marianne Trudel et Karen Young: June 29 at 6:00 p.m.
- Effendi 20 ans: July 2 at 6:00 p.m.
- Jean-Michel Pilc Waves Trio: July 3 at 6:00 p.m.
- Rafael Zaldivar Afro-Cuban Revival: July 4 at 6:00 p.m.
- Jim Doxas Quartet: July 5 at 6:00 p.m.
- Donato-Bourassa-Lozano-Tanguay: July 6 at 6:00 p.m.
Upstairs Jazz Bar & Grill
- Laura Anglade Quintet: June 27 at 7:00 p.m.
- Christine Jensen New York Quartet with Allison Miller, Helen Sung, Noriko Ueda: July 3 at 10:30 p.m.
- Wray Downes: July 6 at 6:00 p.m.
- Orchestre National de Jazz invite The Invisible Man: An Orchestral Tribute To Dr. Dre: July 3 at 10:00 p.m.
Loto-Québec Scene (free)
Grande-Place du complexe Desjardins (free)
Club Jazz à la place Heineken (free)
- Rémi Bolduc Quartet: June 28, 7:00 p.m.
- Ensemble Alex Le Blanc: June 29, 5:00 p.m.
- Benjamin Deschamps: No Codes: July 1, 5:00 p.m.
- Lex French: July 1, 7:00 p.m.
- Razalaz: July 3, 5:00 p.m.
- Beth McKenna Quintet: July 4, 7:00 p.m.
- Joshua Rager Quintet: July 5, 7:00 p.m.
Scène TD (Place des Festivals, free)
- Steve Amirault E.ast C.oast O.rchestra: July 1, 6:00 p.m.
- Lex French et Kevin Dean jouent Roy & Diz: June 27, 9:30 p.m.
- François Bourassa Quartet: June 29, 7:00 p.m.
- Jean-Pierre Zanella présente Quattro Venti: June 30, 7:00 p.m.
- Marc Copland Montreal Trio: July 3 & July 4, 9:30 p.m.
- Al McLean Quintet: July 5, 9:30 p.m.
- Joe Sullivan Big Band: July 6, 9:30 p.m.
Le XVI XVI
- Rachel Therrien et Gentiane MG: July 2, 6:00 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.
- Guillaume Martineau avec Éric Lagacé et Mark Nelson: July 5, 6:00 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.