Supplementary Resources on How to Build Relationships and Community
- How to Have a Good Conversation (12 min.) Crucial to building and enhancing good community is how we speak to each other. Striking a conversation, a good conversation, is very essential in establishing relationship and in showing the ‘other’ that they are accepted and that they belong. In this video, Celeste Headlee, a famed talk show host, shares various ways that we can hold a good conversation. “Go out [and] talk to people, listen to people, and be prepared to be amazed!”
- Belonging (4 min.) presents George, a young Syrian who struggled to find his identity as a child. After fleeing his country and going to Paris, through evoking his memories as a boy scout, he rediscovers his belonging to a community.
- Where is home? Where do you belong? (5 min.) What does it mean to feel at home? Is your feeling based on culture, love, or location? In this talk, Vamba explores his ideas about what it means to truly belong. Vamba Sherif, born in Liberia, is a novelist, journalist, and film critic. He's lived in Kuwait and Syria before settling in The Netherlands.
- The meaning of home: More than Bricks and Mortar? (16 min.) Dr. Craig Gurney, a lecturer, asks: what is the true meaning of home? Is it really a place of safety and security? Learn about the meaning of home.
- Visit MORSL's Connect with a Community Page for a directory of McGill faith clubs, listings of off-campus communities and programming, and a directory of our volunteer chaplains who offer one-on-one consultations.
Student Workbook Download