The Swampy Cree Suicide Prevention Team is funded by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research. The team is led by Drs. Jitender Sareen, Brenda Elias and Mr. Garry Munro. The funding brings together representatives from eight Swampy Cree Tribal Council communities with University-based researchers and international consultants.
The Swampy Cree Tribal Council from 8 First Nations communities in Northwestern Manitoba.
Cree Nations Tribal Health Centre:
- Mr. Garry Munro
- Mr. Ron Cook
- Community representatives from each of the 8 communities.
The University of Manitoba based investigators include experts in psychiatry, child psychiatry, population health, Aboriginal Health and psychological interventions.
Department of Psychiatry, University of Manitoba:
Department of Community Health Sciences, University of Manitoba:
The team includes international experts in the field of aboriginal health, trauma and suicide prevention:
- Dr. Jan Beals, University of Colorado
- Dr. Frank Deane, University of Wollongong, Australia
- Dr. Madelyn Gould, Columbia University, New York
- Dr. Alec Miller, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York
- Dr. Murray B. Stein, University of California San Diego, California
The team includes Associate Members at the University of Manitoba:
- Ms. Shay-Lee Belik, Doctoral Student
- Ms. Natalie Mota, Masters Student
- Dr. Ryan MacFayden, Psychiatry Resident
- Ms. Corinne Isaak, Research Associate
- Mr. Michael Isaac - Medical Student
- Ms. Jina Pagura - Master Student
- Dr. James Bolton, Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
- Dr. Daniel Rasic, Psychiatry Resident
- Dr. Josh Nepon, Psychiatry Resident