**Attention to all our postdoctoral applicants and supervisors, due to the changes made by the government of Quebec as of January 2017 and unionization of Postdoctoral fellows, award amount will be subject to the assessment of applicable taxes and benefit rates required by payroll regulations. Supervisors are responsible to top-up successful applicants if the award amount is less than the required minimum ($34,100 as of June 1, 2019) as per the collective agreement.**
Please review the fellowship description below with the new salary amount indicated before submitting your application.
The deadline for receipt of applications is 4:00pm, April 15, 2019.
Please note that if you receive any other Internal/External funding during the same Academic year (2019-2020), advise our office as soon as possible, in order to determine the eligibility to hold the Internal Postdoctoral fellowship or decline the offer of award if the amount offered from the other institute is higher than the McGill's Internal Postdoctoral fellowships.
It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all required documents, paper and electronic, are received at the Faculty of Medicine Research and Graduate Studies Office, McIntyre Medical Sciences building, room 637, by that time and date. Late, incomplete or handwritten applications will not be considered.
Internal Postdoctoral Fellowships are open to highly qualified fellows under the direction of a member of McGill university Faculty of Medicine who is a Professor, Associate Professor or an Assistant Professor.
Eligibility: Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Applicants must be registered as postdoctoral fellows at McGill University Faculty of Medicine when applying and for the duration of the award. Please see the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Office for detailed information on postdoctoral registration at McGill.
- Individuals may not hold more than three years of Faculty of Medicine Internal Postdoctoral Fellowships.
- The candidate's primary supervisor(s) must be a member of McGill University Faculty of Medicine.
- Applicants must meet the specific requirements for the Internal Postdoctoral Fellowships for which they are applying (click here for Fellowships Descriptions): postdocfellowshipdescriptions2019.pdf
- Applicants are required to apply to external and other internal funding sources for which they are eligible. Priority will be given to excellent fellows who are not eligible for other funding.
- Only the current version of the application form will be accepted.
Number of awards
A supervisor cannot have more than two applicants apply to the Studentship or Postdoctoral Fellowship program at any one time.
(i.e. 1 internal studentship + 1 internal Postdoctoral Fellowship applicant; 2 internal studentships applicants; or 2 internal Postdoctoral Fellowship applicants)
Value and duration of support:
Internal Postdoctoral Fellowships are tenable for one year starting September 1, 2019, non renewable. However, recipients are eligible to submit a new application to the full competition in subsequent years.
For value of each fellowship please see Fellowship descriptions (click here for Fellowships Description): postdocfellowshipdescriptions2019.pdf
Supervisors are expected to supplement funded applicants up to recognized rates for a post doctoral fellow.
Application Instructions: Please do not scan your application form. The word document should be converted to a PDF directly
- Late, incomplete or handwritten applications will not be considered.
- No additional pages are allowed, except where specifically indicated.
- Applicants are asked not to provide a separate CV.
- Applicants must provide a copy of their complete university academic record to date, including undergraduate transcripts. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. Please arrange transcripts in chronological order starting with the most recent. International transcripts must be in English or French.
- The application must be submitted electronically as a single PDF file. The file is to be named as follows: LastName_FirtsName_fellowship.pdf (e.g. Smith_John_fellowship.pdf) and sent by e-mail to submitgrad.med [at] mcgill.ca
Please use submitgrad.med [at] mcgill.ca to submit your applications, documents and attachments.
Application Check List: Please create your final PDF according to the check list below in the order its given
- Application form
- List of Publications
- Proof of registration in postdoctoral program at McGIll (obligatory)
- Supervisor Biosketch form - Applicant's primary supervisor must complete the Biosketch form. Do not send an additional C.V.
- Current work permit (for foreign postdoctoral fellows only)
- 2 Letters of support – a confidential letter of support from the current postdoc supervisor and one from applicant's PhD supervisor(s) must be received directly from the referees to the appropriate email address. Please note that reference letters submitted by the applicant's will not be accepted. Please make sure to arrange ahead of time with the referees to submit the letters directly to submitgrad.med [at] mcgill.ca.
The following points should be covered in the letter of support:
- Critical Thinking: Judicious evaluation of all information, regardless of its source
- Independence: Pursuit of knowledge or taking of action on own initiative, seeking guidance only when appropriate
- Perseverance: Determined persistence in pursuit of goals despite obstacles or discouragement
- Originality: Imagination or ingenuity in problem solving
- Organizational skills: Systematic, careful planning and coordination of activities
- Interest in discover: An inquiring mind and a strong desire to pursue new knowledge
- Communication skills: Effective interpersonal and written communication in work or study environment
- The letters must be submitted electronically as a PDF file. The file is to be named as follows: LastName_FirstInitial_fellowshipletter.pdf (e.g. Smith_J_fellowship.pdf) and sent by email to submitgrad.med [at] mcgill.ca.
A paper copy of the first page of the application form must be signed by the applicant, primary supervisor, secondary supervisor (if applicable) and Department Chair and submitted to the address below:
- 3655 Promenade Sir William Osler
Room 637, McIntyre Medical Building
Montreal, Quebec H3G 1Y6
|Evaluation Criteria||Rating for Postdoctoral Fellows|
|Quality of Research||/5|
|Letters of Support||/4|
Once received, the applications will be reviewed to the Faculty of Medicine Postgraduate Awards Committee (PGAC).
Announcement of Results
Candidates will be informed of results by mid August.
Application forms are in word fillable format
Please contact Nishat Shabnam at 514-398-2497 or by e-mail gradstudies.med [at] mcgill.ca if you have questions or need help with the application process.