The Tomlinson Doctoral Fellowship was established in 2000 through a very generous gift from Dr. Richard H. Tomlinson (Ph.D. 1948) - $35,000, renewable twice.
All Tomlinson Doctoral Fellowships are for recruiting NEW graduate students to McGill. Students currently enrolled at McGill, or whose latest degree was completed or in progress at McGill, are therefore ineligible. Former McGill students who later completed a graduate degree elsewhere may apply. Visiting students at McGill, who are completing the requirements for a degree from another university, may apply.
First Class Applicants: Only applicants with a 1st class academic record (A- or better overall grade or ≥ 3.70/4.00) will be considered.
Citizenship: There are no citizenship restrictions.
Please Note: Tomlinson Doctoral Fellowships are adjudicated by the Faculty of Medicine Research and Graduate Studies Office.
Application/Departmental Review/Nomination Procedures
Applicants must submit their application and supporting documents to the Department/Unit/School where they intend to study.
Departments will perform a pre-selection of doctoral applicants and will submit, at most, 3 nominations to the Faculty of Medicine Research and Graduate Studies Office, along with all supporting documents to the Faculty of Medicine Research and Graduate Studies Office. Deadline for departments to submit their nominations is June 15th, 2018.
Check List for Nomination
- Nomination Form (one for each applicant to be nominated)
- Ph.D. Student Application Form plus the following attachments
- Publication List – section 4
- Detailed Project Description – section 7 (one page maximum)
- Applicant’s Statement – section 8 (one page maximum)
- Two Referee Reports – section 10
- Report – form page with addresses and Part A completed
- Referee Letter – Part B (on letterhead)
- Proposed Supervisor’s Statement – section 11
- All Graduate and Undergraduate Transcripts – official transcripts or certified copies
- GPA Calculation Spreadsheet
- A copy of the decision form or letter showing acceptance for admission
Application forms are in word fillable format
|Evaluation Criteria||Weightings %|
|Research ability or potential||40|
|Communication, interpersonal and leadership abilities||5|
|Quality of the chosen research environments||20|
Once received at the Faculty of Medicine, Research and Graduate Studies Office, applications will be screened for completeness and forwarded to a central committee for final review and ranking.
Announcement of Results
Candidates and departments will be informed by the Faculty of Medicine, Research Office of results of the Doctoral competition in late July.
Value and Tenure
For eligibility, value and tenure, please click on the link below:
Renewal: Renewal for a second and third year is subject to maintaining eligibility and good standing in the program.
Direct any questions to:
submitgrad.med [at] mcgill.ca (Nishat Shabnam)
Research and Graduate Studies Office
Faculty of Medicine, McGill University
McIntyre Building, Room 637