The CFI evaluates all proposals using the following three key criteria reflecting its mandate:
- Quality of research and need for infrastructure
- Quality of research
- Quality of researchers
- Need for infrastructure
- Contribution to strengthening the capacity for innovation
- Training of highly qualified personnel
- Operation and maintenance plans
- The potential benefits of the research to Canada.
A proposal must satisfy all three key criteria to a degree appropriate to the size and complexity of the infrastructure project in order to be funded. It is incumbent upon the applicant to demonstrate in the proposal how the project satisfies the requirements outlined in each criterion.
The Research office, in coordination with the Strategic Initiatives Unit of the Office of the Vice-Principal, Research and Innovation, provides academic help in preparing applications to the Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI) Program and seeks to help overcome the challenges in research administration created by recent years' dramatic increases in the volume, value and complexity of these kinds of awards. Specifically, the Research office:
- Guides and facilitates the application process in collaboration with the investigator and the appropriate Institutional officers in the Strategic Initiatives Unit (SI unit), Facilities Development/Management Office, as well as those in the McGill University hospital based Research Institutes.
- Provides training and orientation services to investigators and other personnel involved in strategic grant preparation and management.
- Reviews grant applications, in coordination with the SI unit, and provides expert advice to increase grant competitiveness.
- Provides support and counsel related to the development and implementation of strategic grant management activities while ensuring compliance with agency and McGill University policies.
- Assists the investigator in navigating the post award process of grant administration and follow up on renovations, animal care requirements, etc.
- Plans, develops, and helps to implement best practice administrative procedures and processes to enhance and support the Faculty's strategic research goals and objectives.
CFI Program Funds/Apply & Manage Awards
Strategic Initiatives Unit (SI unit)
CFI Policy and Program Guide
Resource documents/guides and tips are available upon request.