At the University, Bridge Funding usually occurs in August
A call for applications will go out on the Research Office listserv.
(If you need to be added to the listserv, please contact riac.med [at] mcgill.ca)
**Investigators located at the RI-MUHC, and/or the Jewish General Hospital/Lady Davis Institute, you MUST apply to the Bridge Funding program at your respective institute. See contact details below
BRIDGE FUNDING 2019 (Deadline: 11 August 2019, 4pm)
The purpose of the Research Bridging Support Fund remains to provide interim support for productive faculty members who have experienced, or are about to experience, a lapse in grant support from a major agency such as CIHR, NIH or other. Priority will be given to student stipend support and small amounts of emergency funding to ensure that students may complete their ongoing projects. Priority will also be given to those applications that fit the Faculty’s Strategic Research Plan.
- Full-time faculty who have submitted an application (initial submission or first revision) to a federal funding agency during the past year (2018-19), which was not funded, are eligible to apply
- Only those applications that have been internally, scientifically peer-reviewed are eligible for consideration for operating support
- For applicants to CIHR’s Foundation Scheme, only those whose applications were accepted to Stage 2 or Stage 3 and who have no alternative sources of funding are eligible
- It is expected that applicants will submit an application for external funding during the bridging award period. The applicant's stated plan for this submission will be considered in the review of applications and recommendation of awards
- For Investigators located at the RI-MUHC, or LDI/JGH, please apply to your Institution's Bridge Funding Program. (Please contact Jenny Koulis at the RI-MUHC and Janik Jacmain at the LDI/JGH - contact info below)
A maximum of $25,000 may be requested, with $15,000-$20,000 allocated to student stipend support and $5,000-$10,000 to operating expenses (primarily for student projects). Please bear in mind that funds are limited. We want to be able to support the largest number of applicants (particularly for students in financial need) and may not be able to provide the full amounts requested. Please consider all alternate sources of student funding (e.g., departmental GEF allocation, co-supervision).
Funds may not be used for faculty salaries, equipment, or travel. Funding starts September 1st for one year and may not be renewed. If an award is received during the bridging project period, the unobligated balance of the bridge award must be returned to the Bridge Funding Program. Funds should be used within one year of receiving the award.
Successful applicants who have received operating support will be expected to submit a one page final progress report within one month of the end of the funding period.
Bridge Funding Application Instructions
The complete application must be submitted electronically to the Office of the Associate Dean (Research) prior to the deadline (riac.med [at] mcgill.ca). If you have questions about the application process, please call 514-398-5815.
Please complete each section of the Bridge Funding Checklist 2019 which must be signed by the principal investigator and the department chair.
1) Curriculum Vitae should be in the format of the Common CV with a list of publications from the past 5 years appended
2) Fit with Faculty of Medicine’s SRP (maximum 1 paragraph)
3) Explanation of Need for Bridge Funding (maximum 1 paragraph)
4) Copy of Grant Application and Granting Agency Review Statements
Append the latest version of the unfunded grant application. Copies of all of the reviews that were sent to you by the sponsor must also be provided.
5) Available Funding
Describe current funding available to support your research program. This includes but is not limited to:
- Other grants
- Discretionary funds
- Start-up funds
- All other available funding
- Pending applications
6) List of Trainees (including their current support, source of funding, year in program)
7) Budget Request/Plans for Bridge Funding
Indicate which student(s) will be supported and the operating funds required to support their research.
8) Plans for Submitting an Application to a granting agency.
Describe your plans for submitting a new or revised application: indicate the date, title, and sponsor for each planned application.
Notification of Award:
Applicants will be notified of Bridge Funding decisions by their respective Directors of Research Institutes or the Associate Dean (Research), depending on where the application was initially filed, within 3 weeks of the competition deadline.
**For Investigators located at the Research Institutes:
- RI MUHC - Please contact Jenny Koulis; email: jenny.koulis [at] mail.mcgill.ca phone (514) 934-1934 ext.44580
- JGH/LDI – Please contact Janik Jacmain; email: Janik.Jacmain [at] ladydavis.ca or phone 514-340-8222 ext. 4846
For Investigators located at Campus sites and the Douglas Institute:
- Please contact the Research Administrator, Investigator Awards by email: riac.med [at] mcgill.ca, or by phone 514-398-5815