At the University, Bridge Funding usually occurs in August
A call for applications will go out on the Research Office listserv.
(If you need to be added to the listserv, please contact riac.med [at] mcgill.ca)
**Please note that RI-MUHC is not accepting any applications for bridge funding in 2020. Researchers located at Lady Davis Institute/Jewish General Hospital MUST apply to the Bridge Funding program at their research institute**
BRIDGE FUNDING 2021 (Deadline: TBD)
The Faculty's Research Bridging Support Fund provides interim support for those exposed to a critical lapse in research funding. Priority is towards supporting students stipends and operations to ensure that trainees can complete their ongoing projects*, especially those aligned with the Faculty’s Strategic Research Plan.
* Incoming and first year students are not eligible to receive support from this funding program
- Unsuccessful application by a full-time faculty member to a federal funding agency over the past year (e.g., Fall 2019 or Spring 2020 to qualify for the 2020 Bridge Funding program),
- The application has been internally peer-reviewed,
- Plan to re-submit a revised version of the application for external funding during the bridging award period,
- Investigators located at LDI/JGH must apply to their research institute's Bridge Funding Program. Contact Janik Jacmain for more information.
- $25,000 maximum, per application [$15,000-$20,000 for student stipend support; $5,000-$10,000 to operating expenses] (primarily for student projects).
Funds may not be used for faculty salaries, equipment, or travel.
Funding starts September 1st for one year and may not be renewed. If an award is received during the bridging project period, the unobligated balance of the bridge award must be returned to the Bridge Funding Program. Funds should be used within one year of receiving the award.
Successful applicants who have received operating support will be expected to submit a one page final progress report within one month of the end of the funding period.
Bridge Funding Application Instructions
Submit complete application to the Office of the Associate Dean (Research) at riac.med [at] mcgill.ca. If you have questions about the application process, please contact Nancy Kwan, Research Administrator.
Complete each section of the 2020 Bridge Funding Application and Checklist and signed by the Principal Investigator and the Department Chair.
1) Curriculum Vitae should be in the format of the Common CV with a list of publications from the past 5 years appended
2) Fit with Faculty of Medicine’s SRP (maximum 1 paragraph)
3) Explanation of Need for Bridge Funding (maximum 1 paragraph)
4) Copy of Grant Application and Granting Agency Review Statements
Append the latest version of the unfunded grant application. Copies of all of the reviews that were sent to you by the sponsor must also be provided.
5) Available Funding
Describe current funding available to support your research program. This includes but is not limited to:
- Other grants
- Discretionary funds
- Start-up funds
- All other available funding
- Pending applications
6) List of Trainees (including their current support, source of funding, year in program)
7) Budget Request/Plans for Bridge Funding
Indicate which student(s) will be supported and the operating funds required to support their research.
8) Plans for Submitting an Application to a granting agency.
Describe your plans for submitting a new or revised application: indicate the date, title, and sponsor for each planned application.
Notification of Award:
Applicants will be notified of Bridge Funding decisions by their respective Directors of Research Institutes or the Associate Dean (Research), depending on where the application was initially filed, within 3 weeks of the competition deadline.
**Investigators located at the LDI/JGH, please contact Janik Jacmain: Janik.Jacmain [at] ladydavis.ca / (514) 340-8222 ext. 4846
Investigators located at Campus sites and the Douglas Institute, please contact Nancy Kwan, Research Administrator, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences: riac.med [at] mcgill.ca / (514) 398-5815