Name: Logan Montgomery
Level at MPU: PhD
Email: logan.montgomery [at] mail.mcgill.ca
Supervisor(s): Dr. John Kildea
Research interests: Neutron-induced carcinogenic effects, radiotherapy incident learning
During high-energy radiation therapy, patients are exposed to a whole-body dose of secondary neutrons, which poses an iatrogenic risk for second cancer. The spectrum of neutrons that is produced by a medical linear accelerator typically spans thermal energies up to the maximum energy of the primary beam. Presently, the carcinogenic risk associated with neutron radiation is believed to vary widely with energy, as evidenced by the neutron radiation weighting factors promulgated by the ICRP. However, these weighting factors were based on aggregate experimental data and were intended for development of radiation safety standards, not for individual risk assessment. The objective of this thesis project is to improve risk estimation of neutron-induced carcinogenesis for radiotherapy patients via spectral measurements and Monte Carlo modeling.
- F. Mathew, G. Al Makdessi, L. Montgomery, M. Evans, J. Kildea, "The impact of treatment parameter variation on secondary neutron spectra in high-energy electron beam radiotherapy," Phys Medica (2020). (link).
- F. Mathew, C. Chilian, L. Montgomery, and J. Kildea, "Development of a passive gold-foil Nested Neutron Spectrometer to validate the active current-mode He-3 measurements in a high neutron flux radiotherapy environment," Nucl Instrum Meth A (2021). (link).
- C.M. Lund, G. Famulari, L. Montgomery, and J. Kildea, "A microdosimetric analysis of the interactions of mono-energetic neutrons with human tissue," Phys Medica (2020). (link).
- L. Montgomery, A. Landry, G. Al Makdessi, F. Mathew, and J. Kildea, "A novel MLEM stopping criterion for unfolding neutron fluence spectra in radiation therapy," Nucl Instrum Meth A (2020). (link).
- L. Montgomery, M. Evans, L. Liang, R. Maglieri, and J. Kildea, "The effect of the flattening filter on photoneutron production at 10 MV in the Varian TrueBeam linac," Med Phys (2018). (link).
- L. Montgomery, P. Fava, C.R. Freeman, T. Hijal, C. Maietta, W. Parker, and J. Kildea, “Development and implementation of a radiation therapy incident learning system compatible with local workflow and a national taxonomy,” J Appl Clin Med Phys (2017). (link).
- J. Polson and L. Montgomery, “Polymer segregation under confinement: Free energy calculations and segregation dynamics simulations,” J Chem Phys (2014). (link).
- S. Grabtchak, L. Montgomery, and W.M. Whelan, “Optical absorption and scattering properties of bulk porcine muscle phantoms from interstitial radiance measurements in 650-900 nm range,” Phys Med Bio (2014). (link)
- Physics Travel Award (2020)
- James O. and Maria Meadows Fellowship (2020)
- NSERC Canada Graduate Scholarship - Doctoral (2016-2019)
- 1st Place Poster (PhD) - CRP Research Day (2018)
- Prix de cancérologie (2017)
- CIHR Canada Graduate Scholarship - Masters (2014-2015)
- Graduate Excellence Fellowship - McGill (2014)
- NSERC USRA scholarships (2013,2014)
- Full Tuition Scholarship - UPEI (2010-2014)
- Neutron spectrometry and unfolding code
- The NSIR-RT compatible Safety Incident Learning System (SaILS)