Category Code = MD-ROQ-N
Applicants must meet the following criteria in order to apply to the Non-Traditional Pathway:
- Québec residency status fully established by the application deadline (November 1);
- Hold a complete undergraduate (Bachelor's) degree by July 31 of the entering year of medicine per the educational requirements WITH THE FOLLOWING EXCEPTION:
- the undergraduate degree used as the basis of admission may have been completed on a part-time basis.
- Is not eligible to apply in any other applicant category ;
- Meets all other admission requirements and conditions for medical programs WITH THE FOLLOWING EXCEPTIONS
- NTP applicants may apply for admission with partially complete and/or out-of-date (more than eight years from the application deadline) basic science prerequisites. 'Partially complete' means a minimum of 4 of the required prerequisite courses. Any or all of these 4 could be out of date).
Applicants who have completed all basic science prerequisites, of which some or all are out-of-date, and who have continuous relevant work experience or advanced studies by the application deadline may be eligible for the Quebec-University pathway and therefore ineligible for the NTP pathway. Applicants in this situation are responsible for submitting a request for exemption from renewing the out-of-date Basic Science Course(s) prior to applying in order to determine the correct application category. See: www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements-edu/basic-science-prerequisites
- NOTE: Applicants with no basic science prerequisites whatsoever will not be considered.
NTP Qualifying Year
NEW! ► Successful NTP applicants will be admitted to a Qualifying Year (QY) to be undertaken chiefly in the Faculty of Science. NTP students in the QY Year must maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.5, with no grades lower than a B in order to continue on into the 4-year M.D.,C.M. program. In order to determine which Qualifying Year courses will be required, Non Traditional Pathway candidates will be asked to submit a detailed account of their knowledge of the Science concepts to the QY committee (see document on this page: www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements-edu/basic-science-prerequisites )
- Exceptionally, NTP candidates may be exempted from the Qualifying Year. Determination of exemption is examined on a case-by-case basis by the QY committee. The following types of information will be considered:
- Recent work, research or advanced studies in the relevant field (See note regarding eligibility for Quebec-University pathway under “Eligiblity Requirements” above)
- MCAT score (2015 exam or later); score must be available by May 1, 2018
- Transcripts updating all missing/expired prerequisite courses submitted by May 1, 2018 (either at CEGEP, university, or through a distance education university program).
The following dates are for the Fall 2018 entry and are subject to change without notice. There is no winter or summer entry.
- Application deadline: November 1, 2017
- Submission deadline: November 1, 2017
- Target date for sending preliminary selections: January 26, 2018
- Interview dates: April 10, 11, 12, 2018
Related ► For more important dates, see http://www.mcgill.ca/importantdates/
Key Numbers & Statistics
- Anticipated number of seats available for Fall 2018: up to 5
The following is presented as reference only. It does not offer any predictive validity:
- Average number of applicants: 127
- Average number of interviewed candidates: 17
- Average GPA of interviewed candidates: 3.74
- Non-Traditional Pathway applicants whose undergraduate degrees were completed outside of Canada are not required to submit an MCAT score.
- Non-Traditional Pathway applicants are not eligible to apply to the joint MDCM-PHD and MDCM-MBA programs.