Category Code = MD-ROQ-N
Applicants must meet the following criteria in order to apply to the Non-Traditional Pathway:
- Québec residency status fully established by the application deadline (November 1);
- Hold a complete undergraduate (Bachelor's) degree by July 31 of the entering year of medicine per the educational requirements WITH THE FOLLOWING EXCEPTION:
- the undergraduate degree used as the basis of admission may have been completed on a part-time basis.
- Is not eligible to apply in any other applicant category ;
- Meets all other admission requirements and conditions for medical programs WITH THE FOLLOWING EXCEPTIONS
- NTP applicants may apply for admission with partially complete and/or out-of-date (more than eight years from the application deadline) basic science prerequisites. 'Partially complete' means a minimum of 4 of the required prerequisite courses. Any or all of these 4 could be out of date).
- NOTE: Applicants with no basic science prerequisites whatsoever will not be considered.
NTP Qualifying Year
NEW! ► Successful NTP applicants will be admitted to a Qualifying Year (QY) to be undertaken chiefly in the Faculty of Science. NTP students in the QY Year must maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.5, with no grades lower than a B in order to continue on into the 4-year M.D.,C.M. program. Note that once offered admission, students may apply for exemption from the qualifying year. Non Traditional Pathway candidates who have received an offer of admission and who seek an exemption from the QY can choose to submit an MCAT score (2015 exam or later) with a min 70%tile score on each of the 4 sections, or update all their prerequisites (either at CEGEP, university, or through a distance education university program).
The following dates are for the Fall 2017 entry and are subject to change without notice. There is no winter or summer entry.
- Application deadline: November 1, 2016
- Submission deadline: November 1, 2016
- Target date for sending preliminary selections: April 3, 2017
- Interview dates: April 19-21, 2017
Related ► For more important dates, see http://www.mcgill.ca/importantdates/
Key Numbers & Statistics
- Anticipated number of seats available for Fall 2017: 3-5
The following is presented as reference only. It does not offer any predictive validity:
- Average number of applicants: 127
- Average number of interviewed candidates: 17
- Average GPA of interviewed candidates: 3.74
- Non-Traditional Pathway applicants with a degree grade point average (DegGPA) of 3.2 or greater (on 4.0) are considered to be within the competitive range. DegGPAs below 3.0 are considered only exceptionally.
- This category is intended for applicants who might not have a very competitive academic dossier but have above-average non-academic (e.g. work, extracurriculuar, "life") experiences.
- Non-Traditional Pathway applicants whose undergraduate degrees were completed outside of Canada are not required to submit an MCAT score.
- Non-Traditional Pathway applicants are not eligible to apply to the joint MDCM-PHD and MDCM-MBA programs.