Ph.D. Imperial College London
M.Eng. (Hons) Imperial College London
My research focuses on experimentally examining both fundamental and applied aspects of turbulent flows. Of primary interest is how the initial/upstream conditions determine the life-cycle of large-scale coherent vortical structures and small-scale turbulent properties of the turbulence field. Understanding the life-cycle of large-scale coherent vortical structures are of paramount importance as they are responsible for, amongst other things, drag force, noise generation and the spread of pollution.
In order to better understand the effects of initial conditions on these vortical structures, we use multiscale (fractal) geometries and an array of experimental techniques (e.g. time-resolved PIV, hot-wire anemometry and time-resolved force/torque measurements) to gain insights into the underlying physics. In tandem with the fundamental aspects, we also consider engineering applications of such designs, specifically targeted at the aerospace and road transportation sector.
Current research projects
- Coherent vortical structures
- Multiscale turbulence
- Aircraft aerodynamics
- Turbulent diffusion
Most Significant Publications
- Nedić J and Tavoularis S, (2016) “Measurements of passive scalar diffusion downstream of regular and fractal grids”, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 800(8), 358-386.
- Nedić J and Tavoularis S, (2016) “Energy dissipation scaling in uniformly sheared turbulence”, Physical Review E, 93(3), 033115.
- Laizet S, Nedić J and Vassilicos JC, (2015) “The spatial origin of -5/3 spectra in grid-generated turbulence” Physics of Fluids, 27(6), 065115.
- Laizet S, Nedić J and Vassilicos JC, (2015) “Influence of the spatial resolution on fine-scale features in DNS of turbulence generated by a single square grid” Int. J. of Comp. Fluid Dynamics, 29(3-5), 286-302.
- Nedić J and Vassilicos JC, (2015) “Vortex shedding and aerodynamic performance of an airfoil with multi- scale trailing edge modifications” AIAA Journal, 53(11), 3240-3250.
- Nedić J, Supponen O, Ganapathisubramani B and Vassilicos JC. (2015). “Geometrical influence on vortex shedding in turbulent axisymmetric wakes.” Physics of Fluids, 27(3), 035103.
- Nedić J, Vassilicos JC and Ganapathisubramani B. (2013). “Axisymmetric turbulent wakes with new nonequilibrium similarity scalings”. Physical Review Letters, 111(14), 144503.
- Nedić J, Ganapathisubramani B, and Vassilicos JC. (2013). “Drag and near wake characteristics of flat plates normal to the flow with fractal edge geometries”. Fluid Dynamics Research, 45(6), 061406.
- Nedić J, Ganapathisubramani B, Vassilicos JC, Borée J, Brizzi LE and Spohn A. (2012). “Aeroacoustic performance of fractal spoilers.” AIAA Journal, 50(12), 2695-2710.