Doctor Honoris Causa, FCASI, AFAIAA, Erskine Fellow
Ph.D. Romanian Academy of Sciences
M.Eng. University Politehnica of Bucharest
Macdonald Engineering Building, Rm 460 Map
dan.mateescu [at] mcgill.ca (Email)
Research Interests and Expertise
Primary Research Theme: Aerodynamics and Fluid Mechanics
Secondary Research Theme: Aeroelasticity, Fluid-Structure Interaction and Flow-Induced Vibrations
- Aerodynamics of airfoils, wings and aeronautical configurations in subsonic, transonic and supersonic flows.
- Unsteady aerodynamics of oscillating airfoils and wings in incompressible and compressible flows.
- Aerodynamics of airfoils and wings at low Reynolds numbers for unmanned and micro-aerial vehicles.
- Study of aerodynamic problems of unspecified geometry: adaptive and flexible airfoils and wings, jet flaps, compliant surfaces, nozzle design.
- Development of numerical methods for aerodynamic problems based on finite volume, finite difference and hybrid spectral formulations and Lagrangian methods.
- Study of aerodynamic interaction problems (ground effect, wing-tail interaction, wind tunnel wall effect).
- Study of unsteady confined flows with oscillating boundaries and variable inflow velocity.
- Steady and unsteady fluid-structure interaction and dynamics of structures subjected to unsteady flows.
- Aeroelastic oscillations of structures (use of piezoelectric actuators and sensors to prevent structural instabilities and to detect cracks in the structure).
- Atmospheric flight for space missions and aero-gravity assist.
Current Research Projects
- Analysis of unsteady flows past airfoils and wings at low Reynolds numbers.
- Study of aerodynamic interactions between wings executing pitching and flexural oscillations.
- Study of aeroelastic oscillations of damaged aircraft structures in subsonic and supersonic flows for structural health monitoring.
- Control of aeroelastic oscillations of aircraft structures using piezoelectric sensors and actuators.
- Analysis of three-dimensional confined flows with variable inflow velocity and oscillating walls.
- Study of unsteady flows past oscillating lifting systems in the proximity of the ground and in wind tunnels.
Six selected journal papers (from over 250 scientific papers and reports)
- D. Mateescu. Theoretical solutions for unsteady compressible subsonic flows past oscillating rigid and flexible airfoils. Mathematics in Engineering Science and Aerospace (Cambridge Scientific Publication), Vol. 2, No. 1, 2011, pp. 1-27.
- D. Mateescu and M. Abdo. Analysis of the flow past airfoils at very low Reynolds numbers. Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 2010, Vol. 224, July, pp. 757-775.
- D. Mateescu, M. Munoz and O. Scholz. Analysis of unsteady confined viscous flows with variable inflow velocity and oscillating walls. ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, 2010 , Vol. 132, April, 041105, pp. 1-9.
- D. Mateescu and M. Abdo. Efficient second-order analytical solutions for airfoils in subsonic flows. Aerospace Science and Technology Journal, Vol. 9, 2005, pp. 101-115.
- D. Mateescu. Analysis of aerodynamic problems with geometrically unspecified boundaries using an enhanced Lagrangian method. Journal of Fluids and Structures, Vol. 17, 4, Apr.-May. 2003. pp. 603-626.
- D. Mateescu, T. Pottier, L. Perotin and S. Granger. Three-dimensional unsteady flows between oscillating eccentric cylinders by an enhanced hybrid spectral method. Journal of Fluids and Structures, Vol. 9, No. 6, 1995, pp. 671-695.
MECH 533 Subsonic Aerodynamics
MECH 537 High-Speed Aerodynamics
MECH 538 Unsteady Aerodynamics
MECH 539 Computational Aerodynamics
MECH 620 Adv Computational Aerodynamics