Follow us on:
Ph.D. University of Bristol
Laurea Pavia University (M.Eng. Civil Engineering)
Laurea Pavia University (M.Eng. Architectural Engineering)
Macdonald Engineering Building, Rm 372 Map
damiano.pasini [at] mcgill.ca (Email)
Primary Research Theme: Materials and Structures
Secondary Research Theme: Bioengineering, Design and Manufacturing
Research Group/Lab : Architected Materials and Advanced Structures Group
Our research falls in the broad area of mechanics of materials and structural optimization. At the core of our work are theoretical analysis and computational mechanics, which we use to develop constitutive models that are often validated via experiments. We are particularly interested in the multiscale mechanics of hierarchical and hybrid materials, which are combinations of one material and space (e.g. foams and lattices), or of at least two monolithic materials (e.g. composites and several biological materials). We aim at predicting their macroscopic behavior from an understanding of their microstructure and their fabrication methods.
The main research trust is to develop novel materials with controlled architecture, where materials and/or space are optimally engineered at the microscale to obtain unprecedented and tunable physical properties at the macroscale. Our work finds a balance between fundamental and applied research, where Nature can be a source of inspiration. Current projects stem mainly from aerospace and biomedical applications. For more information see group website.
Some Recent Publications
- Liu L, Kamm P, García-Moreno F, Banhart J, Pasini D, Elastic and failure response of imperfect three-dimensional metallic lattices: the role of geometric defects induced by Selective Laser Melting, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Vol 107, pp. 160-184, 2017.
- Xu H, Farag A, Pasini D, Multilevel hierarchy in bi-material lattices with high specific stiffness and unbounded thermal expansion, Acta Materialia, Vol 134, pp. 155 – 166, 2017.
- Wang Y, Xu H, Pasini D, Multiscale Isogeometric Topology Optimization for Lattice Materials, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 316, pp. 568-585, 2017.
- Xu H, Pasini D, Structurally Efficient Three-dimensional Metamaterials with Controllable Thermal Expansion, Scientific Reports, 6: 34924, 2016.
- Rafsanjani A, Pasini D, Bistable Auxetic Mechanical Metamaterials Inspired by Ancient Geometric Motifs, Extreme Mechanics Letters, 9: 291-296 2016.
- Rafsanjani A, Akbarzadeh AH, Pasini D, Snapping Mechanical Metamaterials under Tension, Advanced Materials 27: 5931-5935, 2015.
- Vigliotti A, Pasini D, Analysis and Design of Lattice Materials for Large Cord and Curvature Variations in Skin Panels of Morphing Wings, Smart Materials and Structures 24(3): 037006, 2015.
- Vigliotti A, Deshpande VS, Pasini D, Non linear constitutive models for lattice materials, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 64: 44-60, 2014.
Cellular Materials (MECH548), Advanced Mechanics of Materials (MECH632), Deformable Solids (MECH321), Machine Element Design (MECH393), Mechanical Engineering Project (MECH463)