Thomas Workman Professor
Ph.D. University of British Columbia
B.Eng. Indian Institute of Technology
Macdonald Engineering Building, Rm 457 Map
arun.misra [at] mcgill.ca (Email)
The research interests of Professor Misra are in the areas of satellite dynamics and control, space robotics, and dynamics of aerospace structures. The current focus is on the study of active space debris removal using robots, dynamics of tethered space systems, spacecraft motion in the vicinity of asteroids, formation flying of satellites, and space elevator.
Current Research Projects
- Active Space Debris Removal Using Robots.
- Dynamics of Satellites Near Single or Binary Asteroids.
- Formation Maintenance of Satellites Using Environmental Forces.
- Partial Space Elevators.
- Dynamics of Tethered Space Systems.
- Deflection of Earth-Bound Asteroids.
- Control of Aeroelastic Oscillations of Aircraft Wings.
- Nonlinear Dynamics of Cylindrical Shells.
Most Significant Publications
- Piersigili, P., Sharf, I. and Misra, A.K., “Reactionless capture of a satellite by a two degree-of-freedom manipulator”, Acta Astronautica, Vol. 66, 2010, pp. 183-192.
- Woo, P. and Misra, A.K., “Dynamics of a partial space elevator with multiple climbers”, Acta Astronautica, Vol. 67, 2010, pp. 753-763.
- Blake, C. and Misra, A.K., “Dynamics and control of satellite formations using a quasi-rigid body formulation”, The Journal of the Astronautical Sciences, Vol. 58, 2011, pp. 221-240.
- Mashayekhi, M.J. and Misra, A.K., “Tether assisted near earth object diversion”, Acta Astronautica, Vol. 75, 2012, pp. 71-77.
- Nobari, N.A. and Misra, A.K., “Attitude dynamics and control of a satellite using a redundant set of fluid rings”, Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 35, 2012, pp. 1855-1864.
- Paak, M., Paidoussis, M.P. and Misra, A.K., “Nonlinear dynamics and stability of cantilevered circular cylindrical shells conveying fluid”, Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 332, 2013, pp. 3474-3498.
- Landry, M., Pelletier, F.J., Misra, A.K. and Ng, A., "Rendezvous and formation flying related to the TECSAS missions", Fourth IAF Workshop on Satellite Constellations and Formation Flying, São José dos Campos, Brazil, February 2005.
- Wong, B. and Misra, A.K., "Dynamics of a Libration Point Multi-Tethered System", Proceedings of 2004 International Astronautical Congress, Paper No. IAC-04-A.5.09.
- Pizarro-Chong, A. And Misra, A.K., "Dynamics of a multi-tethered satellite formation", AIAA/AAS Astrodynamics Specialist Conference, Providance, Rhode Island, August 2004, Paper No. AIAA-2004-5308.
- Parsa, K., Angeles, J. And Misra, A.K., "Rigid-body pose and twist estimation using an accelerometer array", archives of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 74, No.3-4, 2004, pp. 223- 236.
- Wong, B. and Misra, A.K., "Dynamics of a multi-tethered system near the Sun-Earth Lagrangian point", 13th AAS/AIAA Space Flight Mechanics Meeting, Ponce, Puerto Rico, February 2003, Paper No. AAS-03-218.
- Karagiozis, K., Paidoussis, M.P., Grinerich, E., Misra, A.K. and Amabili, M., "Stability and nonlinear dynamics of clamped circular cylindrical shells in contact with flowing fluid", IUTAM Symposium on Integrated Modelling of Fully Coupled Fluid Structure Interactions Using Analysis, Computations and Experiments, New Brunswick, NJ, June 2003, pp. 375-390.
- Riverin, J.-L. And Misra, A.K., "Attitude dynamics of satellites orbiting small bodies", AIAA/AAS Astrodynamics Conference, Monterey, California, August 2002, Paper No. AIAA-2002-4520.
- Misra, A.K., "Equilibrium configurations of tethered three-body systems and their stability", The Journal of the Astronautical Sciences, Vol. 50, No. 3, 2002, pp. 241-253.
- Kim, S.W., Misra, A.K. and Modi, V.J., "Contact dynamics and force control of space manipulator systems", Philosophical Transactions, Royal Society of London, Series A, Voo. 359, 2001, pp. 2271-2286.
- Misra, A.K., Wong, S.S.T. and Paidoussis, M.P., "Dynamics and stability of pinned- clamped and clamped-pinned cylindrical shells conveying fliud", Journal of Fluids and Structures, Vol. 15, pp. 1153-1166, 2001.
- Caron, M., Modi, V.J. and Misra, A.K., "Dynamics of a multimodule variable geometry manipulator", Acta Astronoautica, Vol. 50, No. 10, 2001, pp. 587-595.
- Lanoix, E.L.-M. and Misra, A.K., Modi, V.J. and Tyc, G., "Effect of electromagnetic forces on the orbital dynamics of tethered satellites", AAS/AIAA Space Flight Mechanics Meeting, Clearwater, FL, January 2000, Paper No. AAS-00-189.
- Lanoix, E.L.-M. and Misra, A.K., "Near-earth asteroid missions using tether sling shot assist", Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 37, No. 4, 2000, pp. 475-480.
- Cyril, X., Misra, A.K., Ingham, M. And Jaar, G.J., "Post-capture dynamics of a spacecraft-manipulator-payload system", Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics, Vol. 23, No., 2000, pp. 95-100.