Thank you for your interest in The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program. Please note that the application period for the 2015-2016 academic year is now closed. The application period for the following year will begin in September 2015.
If you are a current applicant, please note that applications are presently being reviewed for admission. Scholarship decisions will begin in March 2015.
Eligibility Criteria for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program
- You must qualify academically for admission to McGill University. Please note that admission is competitive; see Admissions Guide.
- You must be a first-time applicant to university (transfer applicants are not eligible).
- You must be a resident and citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country. French-speaking applicants are welcome.
- You must have an exceptional record of service and activity in your school and/or community.
- You must have the potential for meaningful future service to your community as a leader engaged in dynamic local and global social change.
- Your financial status must be in the lowest two quintiles of your country.
In addition, please note that The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at McGill is only available for undergraduate programs. Scholarships will be available at the Masters level beginning in the 2016-2017 academic year. Please check back in September 2015 for details on how to apply.
Admission to McGill University
The following pages will provide you with details on the academic requirements needed for admission to undergraduate programs at McGill. When you are ready to apply, please click the How to Apply link below to complete the application. In order to be considered for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program, you must follow the special application procedures as described on the How to Apply page.
- Admissions Guide
- General Admission and Documentation Requirements for All Applicants
- Applicants from high schools outside Canada and the U.S.A.
- Admission standards for previous years
Acceptance to The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program
- You must demonstrate an exceptional record of service and leadership in your school and/or your community. This may include organizing youth programs, assuming leadership roles in school activities, participating in clubs and teams, taking on responsibilities at home, advocacy and/or volunteering in your community.
- You must be committed to returning to Africa after graduation to continue to give back to your community and country.
- You must be from a low-income background. Your financial status will be verified.
Now that you are ready to apply, click on How to Apply.