International Students

Did you know that more than 1 in 5 students studying at McGill University Macdonald Campus are international students? Studying abroad can change your life, and McGill University Macdonald Campus is committed to making sure your experience is amazing.

VISAs, Work Permits, and Other Immigration Documents

All international students require a passport (valid for at least 1 year), Certificate of Acceptance of Quebec (CAQ), study permit, and Entry Visa or eTA in order to attend McGill University-Macdonald Campus. Depending on your country of origin and your intended program, you may need to apply for additional documents, such as medical exams, biometric data, co-op/internship Work Permit, or custdianship transfer letters. For more information, click here.

International Student Health Insurance

McGill requires all international students (with exception) and their accompanying dependents to participate in the compulsory McGill International Health Insurance Plan.

Students starting in September who are enrolled in McGill's International Health Insurance plan also receive supplemental dental coverage from their student society (Students' Society of McGill University (SSMU), Macdonald Campus Students' Society (MCSS) or Post-Graduate Students' Society (PGSS)).  Students starting in January must opt-in to this plan if they want dental coverage.  For more details, please contact your student society (SSMU, MCSS or PGSS).

Pre-Arrival Information

There’s a lot to organize before moving to a new country. For information on cell phone and internet plans, banking, and living in Montreal, click here.

Living On-Campus

Living on-campus is a great way to make new friends and ease the transition into college life. Check out our Housing website for more information.

Bringing your Family

It is possible for International Students to bring their spouse and/or children to Canada with them while studying at McGill University. Please note that being a full-time students is very time- and labour-intensive, meaning that realistically only your spouse will be able to work while in Canada.

For more information on obtaining work permits and the immigration documents required to bring your family with you while you study, click here.

The "Buddy" Program

International students are paired up with a “Buddy” - a returning student who can help them out while they adjust to life in Canada. Your Buddy can help you find your way around campus, show you where local grocery store is, and give you insight and advice about living in Montreal.

Your Buddy can also provide linguistic support (if you need it), cultural guidance, and just keep you company as you start making new friends on campus. If you’re starting in the Fall semester, you can even chat with your Buddy during the summer!

The Buddy Program has been around for 28 years and proved useful for 900 international students last year. For more information, click here.


Be sure to explore the rest of this website - and the McGill University Macdonald Campus once you arrive!

This is a very close-knit campus that cares about its students. If you ever have any questions or concerns, never hesitate to talk to someone. Whether you’re in need of a winter coat, can’t find your class or just feeling homesick, there’s always an on-campus resource that can help.

Back to top