Can't find your answer here? Try ASK McGILL
Do you want to...
Know how to register on Minerva?
See these instructions on how to register at McGill using Minerva, which includes a video tutorial. See these tips if you encounter problems registering for a course. Please see these important dates and deadlines for registration and course change. Please contact your Graduate Program Coordinator for more information.
Add or drop a course after the add/drop deadline?
Change your program option (e.g. thesis to non-thesis) or concentration?
Change programs or departments?
You must apply through uApply and application deadlines apply. Please contact your Graduate Program Coordinator.
Withdraw from the University?
Please make sure to read the Regulations Concerning a University Withdrawal and be aware of the applicable deadlines and fees.
Come back to your program after having taken time off?
You will have to request to be reinstated: Form to Request Reinstatement.
Take a semester off?
- Apply for a leave: Form to Request Leave
- If a Leave is not granted, you can withdraw from the University and then submit a form to be readmitted the following term: Form to Request Readmission.
- For the Summer term, you may “not register”, however, and no further action is required; you may simply register in the following Fall term to continue as usual.
Substitute a course that is required for your program with another course?
Approval required from Supervisor or Program/Academic Advisor. Contact your GPC in the Macdonald Graduate Studies Office.
Take a Continuing Education or language course?
You may take a Cont Ed course or a language course but it will not go toward your degree requirements and tuition is charged separately (over and above) your regular program tuition.
Register for a part-time term or complete your studies part-time?
For Non-Thesis students, you simply register for fewer than 12 credits per term. For Thesis students you must make the request in writing to your supervisor. If approved, the supervisor will send your request to the Macdonald Graduate Studies Office to process the change.
The time limit for completion of a degree is:
- 3 years for Masters (thesis or non-thesis)
- 5 years for Masters if strictly done on part-time basis
- PhD: By the end of PhD year 7
* It is important to consider full-time/part-time status requirements for Immigration, Student Loans, etc.
To take an undergraduate course as an extra course?
Prior to submitting this request, you must have already obtained permission from the undergraduate department offering the course. The department must add a permit to your record allowing you to take the course.
- You must complete the form found at: Form to Request a Course Change where you will indicate that the course should be flagged as “Extra” to your graduate program.
- The course will not count for credit towards the graduate program you are currently pursuing.
- The course will not count in your CGPA and the failure policy will not apply.
- If approved, you will be assessed additional tuition fees.
If required to take an undergraduate course as an “Additional Program Requirement” upon admission:
- The course is an additional requirement for your program but will not count for course work credit towards the program requirements.
- The course credits will be included in your CGPA calculation and the failure policy will apply.
Take a course outside McGill?
- Get permission from your Supervisor or Academic Advisor to take the course for your program requirements.
- Submit your request to: https://mobilite-cours.crepuq.qc.ca/4DSTATIC/ENAccueil.html
- Please choose a department description that clearly reflects a department at Macdonald Campus so your request comes to the Macdonald Grad Studies Office
- Your request will be processed and you can check the status of your request
- Any deadlines of McGill and the host university must be respected
- NO MORE THAN 1/3 of total lectured course credits in the student’s program may be taken outside of McGill– please confirm with Graduate Program Coordinator
- McGill IUT Policy
Request a special letter for: Proof of enrollment, expected date of completion of program, confirmation of completion of program requirements, expected date of graduation, etc.?
Please see these links to request a special letter:
- *Also available via your account in Minerva: https://www.mcgill.ca/students/records/proof-reg, for proof of enrollment and expected graduation date (non-thesis students)
Apply for a Work-Coop permit?
***For international students engaging in a full-time mandatory internship/project for their academic program, when the internship/project is OUTSIDE McGill.
- A supporting letter will be required. Employer = McGill University.
- Apply 3 months before expected start of internship.
Apply to graduate?
Only Non-Thesis graduate students need to apply to graduate. This is done via Minerva, in the final semester of your program, mid-way through the term. Be aware of the deadline to be added to the list of graduating students!