This information applies to: McGill faculty & staff
You may request items that are checked out to other users. This is known both as creating a “hold request” or “recalling” an item.
- If you wish to borrow an item that is currently out to another user, you may use the request link in the catalogue to request that the item be put on hold for you when it is returned.
- A recall will usually shorten the due date and reserve it for the person who made the request.
- You will be notified by email when the item is returned. The item will be held for you at the branch library for 4 days.
- You can view details about your hold requests and delete requests for items no longer needed in your library account.
- You can also request items that are [On order] or [In process]. Items that are [In process for reserves] or are destined for a reference or a consultation-only special collection cannot be requested.
- Recalls cannot be placed on Course Reserve items.
Hold requests can be made
- At the loans desk
- through your library account
- By phone