- McGill alumni must register for a McGill Library Borrowing Card in order to borrow items from the Library (alumni status will be confirmed by the library with McGill’s University Advancement office)
- Cost for alumni: free
- McGill Library Borrowing Cards are valid in all McGill branch libraries, subject to the borrowing policies of individual collections.
- A McGill Library Borrowing Card may only be used by the person to whom it is issued.
- The McGill Borrowing Card is valid for 12 months; the expiration date is calculated from the date of registration.
- Fines or other sanctions are imposed for late returns and cards may be cancelled if misused.
Note: Registering for a McGill Library Borrowing Card does not provide remote access to the Library’s electronic resources outside of those available to all alumni, nor does it give you access to all Library services and resources.
To register for a McGill Library Borrowing Card:
- Complete the application for the McGill Library Borrowing Card.
- Visit any Loans Desk at any branch except the Rare Books & Special Collections Library, the McGill Archives, or the Geographic Information Centre.
- Bring a photo ID & proof of address.
Once your application has been processed, you will be provided with a McGill Library Borrowing Card that you can use to borrow items.
To renew a McGill Library Borrowing Card:
The McGill Library Borrowing Card may be renewed by email, by phone, or in person at any branch library except the Rare Books & Special Collections Library, the McGill Archives, or the Geographic Information Centre.