3459 McTavish Street
Montreal, Quebec H3A 0C9
- African Studies
- Indigenous Studies
- International Development
Responsible for the provision of a range of library and information services and collections to support teaching, learning, and research taking place in the Psychology, Anthropology, and International Development Studies departments.
- Master of Library and Information Studies, McGill University, 2002
- Bachelor of Arts in Anthropology, McGill University, 2000
Areas of interest
- Information literacy
- Emerging technologies in academic libraries
- Mobile technology
- Systematic reviews
- American Library Association (ALA)
- Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL)
- Canadian Association of Professional Academic Librarians (CAPAL)
- Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals (CILIP) – Community Services Group (CSG), Information Literacy Group
- L'Association des bibliothécaires du Québec - Quebec Library Association (ABQLA) - Past President (2014-2015)
Awards and honours
- Selected as one of thirty-six mid-career librarians to participate in the American Library Association’s 2014 leadership institute - Leading to the Future, ALA’s leadership development program for future library leaders.
- Outstanding Paper Award Winner at the Emerald Liberati Network Awards for Excellence (2012)
Canuel, R., & Crichton, C. (2015, In Press). Apps for scholarly research: Implications for discovery and learning. In B. Sietz, R. Baier, S. deVries, S. Fabian, S. Memmott, & R. Stevens (Eds.), The Ultimate Information Literacy Setlist: Showcase Your Greatest Hits. Proceedings of the Forty-First National LOEX Library Instruction Conference, Nashville, Tennessee, May 2-4, 2013. Ypsilanti, MI: LOEX Press.
Canuel, R., & Crichton, C. (2015). Leveraging apps for research and learning: A survey of Canadian academic libraries. Library Hi Tech, 33(1), 2-14. (full-text)
Jones, J., & Canuel, R. (2013). Supporting the dissemination of undergraduate research: An emerging role for academic librarians. In D. M. Mueller (Ed.) Imagine, Innovate, Inspire: Proceedings of the Association of College & Research Libraries Conference (pp. 538-545). Chicago, IL: Association of College and Research Libraries. (full-text)
Canuel, R., Crichton, C., & Savova, M. (2012). Tablets as powerful tools for university research: Teaching the relevant skills. Library Technology Reports, 48(8), 35-41. (full-text)
Canuel, R., & Crichton, C. (2011). Canadian academic libraries and the mobile web. New Library World, 112(3/4), 107-120. (full-text)
Lange, J., Canuel, R., & Fitzgibbons, M. (2011). Tailoring information literacy instruction and library services for continuing education: Diverse learners, diverse needs. Journal of Information Literacy, 5(2), 66-80. (full-text)
Selected talks and presentations
Crichton, C., & Canuel, R. (2014, August). Mobile apps and Canadian academic libraries: A confluence of technology and scholarship. International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA) 2014 World Library and Information Congress, Lyon, France.
Canuel, R. (2013, May). Teaching, learning, and working with mobile technology: Essential skills for the multifaceted professional. Canadian Association of Law Libraries (CALL) annual conference: Librarian: Multifaceted Professional. Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
Canuel, R., & Crichton, C. (2013, May). Apps for scholarly research: Implications for discovery and learning. 41st Annual Library Orientation Exchange (LOEX) National Conference, Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Canuel, R., Crichton, C., Savova, M. (2012, June). Everybody’s surfin’ now: Teaching and learning with mobile technology. 2012 LOEX of the West Conference: Creative landscapes, Woodbury University, Burbank, California, U.S.A.
Savova, M., Canuel, R., & Crichton, C. (2012, April). Mobile technology and information literacy instruction: The McGill Library experience. Librarians' Information Literacy Annual Conference (LILAC), Glasgow Caledonian University, Glasgow, Scotland.