3459 McTavish Street
Montreal, Quebec H3A 0C9
Coordinate, lead, and manage the Humanities and Social Sciences Library staff team on a day-to-day basis, and liaise with students, and teaching and administrative staff at a senior level in the faculties of Arts, Education, and Management to ensure that the needs of users are well understood and responded to proactively.
- Master of Library and Information Studies, McGill University, 2002
- Bachelor of Arts in Anthropology, McGill University, 2000
Areas of interest
- Library management
- Service development and assessment
- Information literacy
- Emerging technologies in academic libraries
- Mobile technology
- American Library Association (ALA)
- Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL)
- Canadian Association of Professional Academic Librarians (CAPAL)
- Canadian Federation of Library Associations (CFLA) - (Member of the Board of Directors - Quebec Representative, 2017-2019)
- L'Association des bibliothécaires du Québec - Quebec Library Association (ABQLA) - (Director, 2016-2018)
- Beta Phi Mu - International Library & Information Studies Honor Society - (Director, 2016-2018)
Awards and honours
- Selected as one of thirty-six mid-career librarians to participate in the American Library Association’s 2014 leadership institute - Leading to the Future, ALA’s leadership development program for future library leaders.
- Outstanding Paper Award Winner at the Emerald Liberati Network Awards for Excellence (2012)
Canuel, R., & Crichton, C. (Eds.). (2017). Mobile technology and academic libraries: Innovative services for research and learning. Chicago, IL: Association of College and Research Libraries. ISBN:978-0-8389-8879-4
Canuel, R., MacKenzie, E., Senior, A., & Torabi, N. (2017). Apps for academic success: Developing digital literacy and awareness to increase usage. Education for Information, 33(3), 135-152. (full-text)
Obradovich, A., Canuel, R., & Duffy, E. P. (2015). A survey of online library tutorials: Guiding instructional video creation to use in flipped classrooms. The Journal of Academic Librarianship, 41(6), 751-757. (full-text)
Canuel, R., & Crichton, C. (2015). Leveraging apps for research and learning: A survey of Canadian academic libraries. Library Hi Tech, 33(1), 2-14. (full-text)
Jones, J., & Canuel, R. (2013). Supporting the dissemination of undergraduate research: An emerging role for academic librarians. In D. M. Mueller (Ed.) Imagine, Innovate, Inspire: Proceedings of the Association of College & Research Libraries Conference (pp. 538-545). Chicago, IL: Association of College and Research Libraries. (full-text)
Canuel, R., Crichton, C., & Savova, M. (2012). Tablets as powerful tools for university research: Teaching the relevant skills. Library Technology Reports, 48(8), 35-41. (full-text)
Canuel, R., & Crichton, C. (2011). Canadian academic libraries and the mobile web. New Library World, 112(3/4), 107-120. (full-text)
Lange, J., Canuel, R., & Fitzgibbons, M. (2011). Tailoring information literacy instruction and library services for continuing education: Diverse learners, diverse needs. Journal of Information Literacy, 5(2), 66-80. (full-text)
Selected talks and presentations
Canuel, R., MacKenzie, E., Senior, A., & Torabi, N. (2016, April). Accessing university collections using mobile apps: Maximizing awareness and usage. Electronic Resources & Libraries (ER&L) 2016 Conference, Austin, Texas.
Crichton, C., & Canuel, R. (2014, August). Mobile apps and Canadian academic libraries: A confluence of technology and scholarship. International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA) 2014 World Library and Information Congress, Lyon, France.
Canuel, R. (2013, May). Teaching, learning, and working with mobile technology: Essential skills for the multifaceted professional. Canadian Association of Law Libraries (CALL) annual conference: Librarian: Multifaceted Professional. Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
Canuel, R., & Crichton, C. (2013, May). Apps for scholarly research: Implications for discovery and learning. 41st Annual Library Orientation Exchange (LOEX) National Conference, Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Canuel, R., Crichton, C., Savova, M. (2012, June). Everybody’s surfin’ now: Teaching and learning with mobile technology. 2012 LOEX of the West Conference: Creative landscapes, Woodbury University, Burbank, California, U.S.A.
Savova, M., Canuel, R., & Crichton, C. (2012, April). Mobile technology and information literacy instruction: The McGill Library experience. Librarians' Information Literacy Annual Conference (LILAC), Glasgow Caledonian University, Glasgow, Scotland.