Associate Dean, Collection Services
joseph.hafner @ mcgill.ca
McGill University Library
Montréal, Québec H3A 0C9
- Master of Library and Information Studies, Indiana University, 1989
- Bachelor of Music, Butler University, 1987
Areas of interest
- Library management
- Digital collections
- Cataloguing and RDA
- Music librarianship issues
- American Library Association (ALA)
- Member, Chief Collection Development Officers of Large Research Libraries, 2012-present
- Canadian Association of Music Libraries (CAML)
- Board Member, 2007-2013
- Canadian Linked Data Initiative
- Co-Chair, Steering Committee, 2015-present
- Co-Chair, Local Arrangement Committee, Canadian Linked Data Summit, November 2016
- Member, Program Steering Committee, 2017-present
- Liaison, Metadata Policy, Strategy, Use and Sharing Advisory Group, 2019-present
- Member, HathiTrust Rights and Access Working Group, 2013-2017
- International Association of Music Libraries (IAML)
- Vice President, 2013-2019
- Chair, Publications Committee, 2013-2019
- Chair, Cataloguing Commission, 2011-2017
- Co-chair, IAML Annual Conference, Montreal, 2012
- Editor, Recent Publications in Music Database, 2016-
- International Federation of Music Libraries (IFLA)
- Member, IFLA - Linked Data Technical Sub-Committee, 2017-2019
- Chair, Acquisition & Collection Development Committee, 2010-2016
- Music Library Association
- Co-chair, Education Committee, Music Library Association (MLA) Education Committee, 2007-2009.
- Committee Member, MARC Formats Subcommittee of the Bibliographic Control Committee, Music Library Association (MLA), 2005-2009.
- Chair, Kevin Freeman Travel Grant Committee, Music Library Association (MLA), 2004-2007.
- Music OCLC Users Group (MOUG)
- Chair, Special Task Force to Study MOUG’s Mission and Objective, Music OCLC Users Group (MOUG), 2007-2009.
- Quebec Chapter of Canadian Association of Music Libraries
- President, Quebec Chapter of Canadian Association of Music Libraries, Archives and Documentation Centres, 2007-2009.
Awards, honours, and fellowships
- ARL Research Library Leadership Fellows (RLLF), 2011-2012
Hafner, J., Koen, D., (Co-eds.). Space and collections: earning their keep: Papers from the 2014 Conference in Paris. De Gruyter, 2016. http://mcgill.worldcat.org/oclc/953848265
Hafner, J, Koen, D. (2016). “The Perfect Storm: Integrating Collections and People in Record Time while Addressing User Needs.” Space and collections earning their keep: transformation, technologies and re-tooling: Papers from the 2014 Conference in Paris. Berlin, DeGruyter. International Federation of Library Associations Series. http://mcgill.worldcat.org/oclc/953848265
Paradis, D, Hafner, J. (2015). The April 2015 update to RDA and its impact on music instructions: A review of what music cataloguers need to know / La mise à jour d’avril 2015 de RDA et son impact sur les instructions relatives à la musique : une étude à l’intention des catalogueurs de musique. CAML Review, 43(1), 13-37. Retrieved April 29, 2015, from http://caml.journals.yorku.ca/index.php/caml/article/view/40206
Fronty, J., Hafner, J., Schmolling, R. (Co-eds.). Blog of the IFLA Section on Acquisition and Collection Development. IFLA Website, July 2012- IFLA Award for Outstanding Communications by a Section in 2011-12 http://blogs.ifla.org/acd/
Johnson, S., Gunnar Evensen, O., Gelfand, J, Lammers, G., Sipe, L., Zilper, N.; Fronty, J., Hafner, J., Mansfield, J., Okerson, A., Schmolling, R. Key Issues for e-Resource Collection Development: A Guide for Libraries. (August 2012) IFLA. http://www.ifla.org/publications/key-issues-for-e-resource-collection-development-a-guide-for-libraries
Hafner, J. OCLC WorldCat Selection @ McGill University. Fontes, Volume 57, Issue 2, April-June 2010. p.162-166.
Chellew, M., Hafner, J. Cataloguing Canadian Music Centre Scores/Le catalogage des partitions du Centre de muisique canadienne. CAML Review, Volume 35, No. 3, November 2007. p.9-20.
Hafner, J, McKinnon, D, Senior, A. (2015). Easy Browse Lists: Giving Patrons the Access They Want using the WorldCat KB API. IFLA 2015 Cape Town, International Federation of Library Association annual conference, Cape Town, South Africa, 2015-08-17. http://conference.ifla.org/ifla81/poster-sessions
Buckland, A, Chellew, M, Hafner, J. (2013). HathiTrust Digital Library: Do I see a song there? IFLA 2013 Singapore, International Federation of Library Association annual congress, Singapore, Singapore, 2013-08-19.
Hafner, J, Lannon, A, McKinnon, D. (2012). McGill’s Libdispenser: Providing high-demand materials 24x7 with self-serve kiosk. IFLA 2012 Helsinki, International Federation of Library Association Annual Conference, Helsinki, Finland, 2012-08-13.
Hafner, J. (2011). A/V Databases @ McGill. IAML 2011 Dublin, International Association of Music Libraries Annual Conference, Dublin, Ireland, 2011-07-28.
Fujinaga, I, Hafner, J. (2008). Metadata Infrastructure for Sound Recordings. IAML 2008 Naples, International Association of Music Libraries Annual Conference, Naples, Italy.
Selected talks and presentations
Cleveland, C, Doi, C, Hafner, J, McKnight, Mark. (2018). Current issues and future directions in music librarianship. Joint Meeting of the Ontario/New York, Quebec and New England Chapters of Canadian and U.S. Music Library Associations. Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
Hafner, J., Leive, C., McKinnon, D., Senior, A. (2018). Does the Data Ring True?: An Analysis of Electronic Music Journals at McGill University. IAML Annual Congress (International Association of Music Libraries), Leipzig, Germany. https://www.iaml.info/sites/default/files/pdf/does_the_data_ring_true_an_analysis_of_electronic_music_journals_at_mcgill_university_leipzig_2018.pdf
Hafner, J., Chellew, M., Desmules, R., Paradis, D., Senior, A. The Canadian Linked Data Initiative: What is happening with linked data in Canada? International Association of Music Libraries Annual Congress 2017, Riga, Latvia, June 19, 2017. http://www.iaml.info/sites/default/files/pdf/hafner_et_al_rigathe_canadian_linked_data_initiative_iaml_final_pdf.pdf
Hafner, J. HathiTrust: A tool for researchers. World Social Science Forum. Montreal, QC, Oct. 13, 2013.
Drucker, A, Hafner, J, Linnitt, P, McBride, J, Xu, W. (2013) Collection development in libraries of music teaching institutions. International Association of Music Libraries Annual Conference. Vienna, Austria.
Hafner, J. Collection Services in a Changing World. International Seminar on Global Trends in Acquisition and Collection Development in Academic and Public Libraries. Tijuana, Mexico. June 18, 2013.
Hafner, J., Lannon, A., McKinnon, D. McGill’s Libdispenser: Providing high-demand materials 24x7 with self-serve kiosk. International Federation of Library Associations Annual Conference Poster Session. Helsinki, Finland. August 13-14, 2012.
Hafner, J. Success Providing Excellent Service in a Changing World of Digital Information Resources. Satellite Program for IFLA 2011. The University of the Virgin Islands. St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. Thursday, August 11, 2011.
Hafner, J, Havlish, S, McCoy, J, Schmidt, J, Zeoli, M. (2008). Developing a Library Collection Today: The Library’s Second Life. Association of American University Presses Conference, Montreal, Canada.
Selected Conference Planning
- Co-Chair, Local Arrangements Committee, RDA Steering Committee (RSC) Meeting, October 22-26, 2018, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- Chair, Local Arrangement Committee, Canadian Linked Summit Initiative Strategic Planning Meeting, 2016. November 17, 2017, Montreal, Quebec, Canada. https://connect.library.utoronto.ca/display/U5LD/Strategic+Intentions+and+Action+Items+2017-2019
- Committee Member, Planning Committee, GLAM Conference 2017 (Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums) at Library and Archives Canada, March 6-7, 2017, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- Co-Chair, Local Arrangements Committee, Canadian Linked Data Summit, October 24-25, 2016. Canadian Linked Data Initiative, Montreal, Quebec, Canada. https://www.mcgill.ca/clds/
- Co-Chair, Space and collections earning their keep: transformation, technologies and re-tooling, August 13-14, 2014, Conference, IFLA Acquisitions and Collection Development Section. Paris, France.
- Committee Member, Global policies, Imperatives and Solutions for the Efficient Library Collection Management and Access to Less Used Documents, August 8-10, 2013, Conference, IFLA Acquisitions and Collection Development Section. Kuopio, Finland.
- Co-President, IAML 2012 Montreal: International Association of Music Libraries, Archives and Documentation Services Annual Conference, July 22-27, 2012, Conference, CAML (Canadian Association of Music Libraries). Montreal, Quebec, Canada. http://iaml.montreal2012.info/
- Committee Member, Maximising collection development of electronic and print media in the digital environment: Opportunities for collaboration, strategic partnerships and patron initiated collecting models, August 10-11, 2011, Conference, IFLA Acquisitions and Collection Development Section. St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Editor. Recent Publications in Music. IAML, database. http://www.iaml.info/rpim, 2016-
Johnson, S, Evensen, O, Gelfand, J, Lammers, G, Sipe L, Zilper, N. (2012). Key Issues for e-Resource Collection Development: A Guide for Libraries. IFLA Website. 1st: 32. Co-Editor.
Violoncellist, Ensemble Sinfonia de Montréal