Associate Dean, Collection Services
joseph.hafner @ mcgill.ca
McGill University Library
Montréal, Québec H3A 0C9
- Master of Library and Information Studies, Indiana University, 1989
- Bachelor of Music, Butler University, 1987
Areas of interest
- Library management
- Digital collections
- Cataloguing and RDA
- Music librarianship issues
- American Library Association (ALA)
- Member, Chief Collection Development Officers of Large Research Libraries, 2012-
- Canadian Association of Music Libraries (CAML)
- Board Member, 2007-2013
- Canadian Linked Data Initiative
- Co-Chair, Steering Committee, 2015-
- Co-Chair, Local Arrangement Committee, Canadian Linked Data Summit, November 2016
- International Association of Music Libraries (IAML)
- Vice President, 2013-2019
- Chair, Publications Committee, 2013-2019
- Chair, Cataloguing Commission, 2011-2017
- Co-chair, IAML Annual Conference, Montreal, 2012
- International Federation of Music Libraries (IFLA)
- Member, IFLA - Linked Data Technical Sub-Committee, 2017-2019
- Chair, Acquisition & Collection Development Committee, 2010-2016
Awards, honours, and fellowships
- ARL Research Library Leadership Fellows (RLLF), 2011-2012
Hafner, J., Koen, D., (Co-eds.). Space and collections: earning their keep. De Gruyter, 2016. http://mcgill.worldcat.org/oclc/953848265
Fronty, J., Hafner, J., Schmolling, R. (Co-eds.). Blog of the IFLA Section on Acquisition and Collection Development. IFLA Website, July 2012- IFLA Award for Outstanding Communications by a Section in 2011-12 http://blogs.ifla.org/acd/
Johnson, S., Gunnar Evensen, O., Gelfand, J, Lammers, G., Sipe, L., Zilper, N.; Fronty, J., Hafner, J., Mansfield, J., Okerson, A., Schmolling, R. Key Issues for e-Resource Collection Development: A Guide for Libraries. (August 2012) IFLA. http://www.ifla.org/publications/key-issues-for-e-resource-collection-development-a-guide-for-libraries
Hafner, J. OCLC WorldCat Selection @ McGill University. Fontes, Volume 57, Issue 2, April-June 2010. p.162-166.
Chellew, M., Hafner, J. Cataloguing Canadian Music Centre Scores/Le catalogage des partitions du Centre de muisique canadienne. CAML Review, Volume 35, No. 3, November 2007. p.9-20.
Selected talks and presentations
Hafner, J., Chellew, M., Desmules, R., Paradis, D., Senior, A. The Canadian Linked Data Initiative: What is happening with linked data in Canada. International Association of Music Libraries Annual Congress 2017, Riga, Latvia, June 19, 2017. http://www.iaml.info/sites/default/files/pdf/hafner_et_al_rigathe_canadian_linked_data_initiative_iaml_final_pdf.pdf
Hafner, J. HathiTrust: A tool for researchers. World Social Science Forum. Montreal, QC, Oct. 13, 2013.
Hafner, J. Collection Services in a Changing World. International Seminar on Global Trends in Acquisition and Collection Development in Academic and Public Libraries. Tijuana, Mexico. June 18, 2013.
Hafner, J., Lannon, A., McKinnon, D. McGill’s Libdispenser: Providing high-demand materials 24x7 with self-serve kiosk. International Federation of Library Associations Annual Conference Poster Session. Helsinki, Finland. August 13-14, 2012.
Hafner, J. Success Providing Excellent Service in a Changing World of Digital Information Resources. Satellite Program for IFLA 2011. The University of the Virgin Islands. St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. Thursday, August 11, 2011.