What are technical reports?
Technical reports are research documents produced by academic, government or industry/research organizations.
Where can I find references to technical reports?
Many article and research databases list references to technical reports.
Where can I find the full text of technical reports?
Search McGill's collections
- Use keywords to search for the report title or organization name in the Library Catalogue
- For reports by McGill staff & students, consult:
- McGill Engineering Technical Reports (Civil & Mechanical Engineering)
- McGill Computer Science Technical Reports
- Websites of individual labs/research groups (e.g. McGill Computer Networks Research Lab)
Not available at McGill? Search the internet
- Online Technical Reports (list of links to sources for US government technical reports)
- TRAIL: Technical Reports Archive and Image Library (for research sponsored by the US federal government primarily up to 1975)
- SciTech Connect (includes technical reports sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy in chemistry, physics, materials, environmental science, geology, engineering, mathematics, climatology, oceanography, and computer science)
- Or search for the website of the organization directly (*tip: search the organization's name AND technical reports e.g. IBM AND technical reports):
For example: MIT
For example: IBM labs
If the technical report you need is neither available at McGill nor freely available on the Internet, order it through COLOMBO Interlibrary Loans.