Downtown CampusGiovanna [dot] Badia [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email) • 514-398-7340
Macdonald Campusemily [dot] mackenzie [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email) • 514-398-7577
- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
Standards are documents which describe methods for manufacturing, measurement, description and testing of materials and products. They cover everything from the simplest screw to the most complex information technology network.
Standards are issued by companies or other organizations both national and international. They are subject to frequent revision. By applying standards, products and services become consistent, compatible, safe and effective. An example of an influential set of standards is the ISO 14000 series of environmental management standards.
Standards available at McGill Library:
- ASTM - Annual Book of American Society for Testing and Materials Standards
Call number: TA 401 A653, Schulich Library reference area on the main level, latest edition: 2012.
- CGSB – Canadian General Standards Board
Call number: TA368 C342, Schulich Library Room 513 (5th floor), latest date received: Feb.2011.
The current CGSB catalogue is available online.
- IEEE Standards available online starting in 1988
- ASABE Standards (American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers) available online starting in 1999
- International Dairy Federation (IDF) Standards
Macdonald Campus Library has no.1 (1987)-
For other standards try searching the McGill catalogue with the standard title, number (examples: 'ISO 10303', 'ISO/DIS 14001'), or issuing body. There are many books about specific standards in the collection but few actual standards.
Locate a standard not at McGill Library:
Standards cannot be ordered through interlibrary loan. You may wish to check other local libraries:
- Concordia University Standards Collection
- Trouver une norme (Bibliothèque de l'École Polytechnique de Montréal)
- Full list of other library catalogues
If you wish to purchase a standard:
240 Catherine Street, Suite 305
Ottawa, Ontario K2P 2G8
For information about standards:
Standards Council of Canada
270 Albert Street, Suite 200
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 6N7
Some suggested websites:
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
- American Society for Testing and Materials Standards (ASTM)
- British Standards Institution (BSI)
- Bureau de normalisation du Québec (BNQ)
- Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB)
- Canadian Standards Association (CSA)
- IHS Standards Store
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO)
- International Standards Catalogue
- National Information Standards Organization (NISO)
- Standards Council of Canada (SCC)
- Techstreet Standards