- Guides and sample plans
- Industry & demographic information
- Financial statements
- Financial planning
- City-level data
- Competitor lists
- Advertising costs
- Starting a business website
- Sample legal forms
Guides and sample plans
- Business Plans Handbook- Select 'Business' and then 'Business Plans Handbook'.
- New venture creation : entrepreneurship for the 21st century
- Proquest Entrepreneurship - contains sample plans, articles on entrepreneurship, as well as industry reports
- Book suggestions from the McGill Library WorldCat catalogue
- Marketline (Datamonitor) - SWOT analysis, competitors, market share, related industry reports.
- Need help ? Consult the Marketline Database Guide !
- Passport GMID (Euromonitor) - Focus on consumer goods & services. Background, competitive environment, market shares, industry data, outlook and more. .
- Need help ? Consult the Passport GMID Database Guide !
- eMarketer - Analysis, reports and data for consumer technology, e-commerce, wireless, digital media, internet usage and habits and more. Visit the eMarketer help centre for how to guides.
- PMB Online - Results of Canadian consumer surveys with responses broken down by age, income, city, education, family type, etc.
- Need help ? Consult the PMB Online Database Guide !
- Simply Map - Create maps and reports using Canadian demographic, business, and marketing data. Note: You must register for account. Limited to 5 users/time.
- Statista - Aggregator of statistics and polls on a variety of topics.
- Statistics Canada - Detailed Census and other StatCan survey data .
- Industry Canada - Provides industry profiles, including searches by NAICS codes.
- Canadian Business Patterns- Number of Canadian establishments by city, NAICS and number of employees. See librarian for assistance in use
Article databases - Academic, trade and newspaper articles
- Business Source Complete - Articles from business magazines and journals. International coverage with a focus on United States publications. Contains scholarly publications.
- ABI Inform - Articles from business magazines and journals. International coverage with a focus on United States publications. Contains scholarly publications.
- CBCA Complete - Articles from Canadian business and current affairs magazines. Includes scholarly publications.
- Sedar - Corporate filings of companies operating in Canada, required by securities regulators, includes competitive environment, markets, products, assets and future plans.
- EDGAR - Filings with the US Securities & Exchange Commission by companies listed on US exchanges. 10K reports give the most detailed information. Also available through company profiles in Mergent Online.
- Mergent Online - International coverage, mostly public companies. Comprehensive financials, competitors, annual reports, and more.
- Value Line Investment Survey- Concise reports on more than 90 US industries. Contains Timeliness rank, performance against Value Line composite, aggregate industry financials/key ratios and analyst commentaries.
- Finanical performance data - Interactive online financial performance tool to help new and established firms determine how they measure up to the competition. Enter your company's financial data confidentially and compare it to industry averages.
- Annual Statement Studies-Financial Ratio Benchmarks - Contains financial ratios and industry averages for American firms.
For more information on how to research certificates see:
Simply Map - Create maps and reports using Canadian demographic, business, and marketing data. Note: You must register for account. Limited to 5 users/time.
- Canadian Advertising Rates and Data (CARD)- Latest information only. Previous issues available in the library.
- Advertising Red Books (LexisNexis)- Domestic & international advertising agencies and advertisers, including ad expenditures, sales, products advertised, and contact information.
- National List of Advertisers- Rates for advertising campaigns by company or brand. Available in the library
- Ad$pender - Advertising expenditure by product category, parent company, subsidiary company, and brand for various media for the last 5 years.
- Advertising Resarch Subject Guide - McGill University
For additional advertising resarch help, please consult this research guide.
Starting a business website
- Canadian Business Start-up Assistant (Gov of Canada)
Business start-up info from the federal and provincial government. Covers many topics; market research, business plans, taxation, business number, etc.
- Créer son entreprise/Starting a business (Revenu Québec)
Information on registering a business in Québec, creating a business plan, obtaining financing, etc.
- Info entrepreneurs (Gov of Canada)
Info on start-up, women entrepreneurs, young entrepreneurs, export, etc.