- Finding Books, etc.
Use WorldCat to find books, journals, articles, and other resources, in both print or electronic format. Your search will cover McGill's entire collection of resources, and can be expanded to include the collections of libraries worldwide.
- Finding Books, etc.
Use the classic catalogue to search for print books, journals, DVDs, and other items that are in McGill's collection.
- Blackwell Dictionary of Political Science (Credo Reference)
- Concise Oxford Dictionary of Politics (Oxford Reference Online)
- Dictionary of Political Biography (Oxford Reference Online)
- Oxford Companion to Politics of the World (Oxford Reference Online)
- International Studies Encyclopedia (Blackwell)
Extensive, detailed resource for International Studies and International Relations. Includes substantial review essays that range from art in international relations to multilateral diplomacy to xenophobia.
- Encyclopedia of Political Science (CQ Press)
Comprehensive survey of the world of politics at the beginning of the twenty-first century.
- Blackwell Reference Online
Includes: A Companion to American Foreign Relations; A Companion to the Anthropology of Politics; A Companion to International History 1900 – 2001; The Blackwell Companion to Political Sociology; A Companion to Contemporary Political Philosophy
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
Includes: Encyclopedia of American Foreign Policy; Encyclopedia of Espionage, Intelligence, and Security; Encyclopedia of Genocide and Crimes Against Humanity
- Encyclopedia of Nationalism:
Includes: Volume 1 (Fundamental themes) and Volume 2 (Leaders, movements, and concepts).
- Encyclopedia of Political Economy (Routledge)
- Encyclopedia of Democratic Thought (Routledge)
- Encyclopedia of Government and Politics (Routledge)
Journal Articles, Reports, and Working Papers
- International Bibliography of the Social Sciences (ProQuest)
Indexes books, book chapters, and journals related to anthropology, economics, politics and sociology.
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts (ProQuest)
provides abstracts of journal articles, citations to book reviews, and abstracts of books, book chapters, dissertations and working papers in political science and international relations.
- International Political Science Abstracts (EBSCO)
Indexes journals related to political science, international relations
- PAIS International (ProQuest)
Indexes journals and magazines related to global public policy and social issues. Includes PAIS Archive, a retrospective index of publications from 1915 - 1976.
- CIAO: Columbia International Affairs Online
Full text documents and citations from international relations journals, policy briefs by international think tanks.
- Annual Review of Political Science
Synthesizes primary research literature in political science.
- Francis (ProQuest)
Multilingual, multidisciplinary database covering the humanities and social sciences.
- Historical Abstracts (EBSCO)<
Indexes worldwide scholarship in history and the social sciences, covering topics from 1450 to the present.
- JSTOR and Political Science on JSTOR
Retrospective scholarly journals (there is a 3-5 gap for most journals).
- Social Sciences Citation Index (via Web of Science)
Multidisciplinary database. Includes citation-searching functions.
- ABSEES (American Bibliography of Slavic and East European Studies) (EBSCO)
Multidisciplinary database that covers East-Central Europe and the former Soviet Union
- Africa-Wide - NiPAD , 19th century to present(EBSCO)
Search across 40 integrated international databases that index literature related to Africa
- America: History and Life (EBSCO)
Indexes scholarly articles about American history and government up to the present
- Bibliography of Asian Studies
Indexes western-language articles and book chapters on all parts of Asia
- HAPI (Hispanic American Periodicals Index) Online
Index to journal articles about Central America, South America, the Caribbean, Mexico, Brazil, and Hispanics/Latinos in the United States.
- Index Islamicus (Brill)
Indexes literature on Islam, the Middle East and the Muslim world
- Index to Jewish Periodicals (EBSCO)
Index to Jewish thought and contemporary Jewish and Middle Eastern affairs
- Middle Eastern & Central Asian Studies (EBSCO)
Indexes research, policy and scholarly discourse on the countries and peoples of the Middle East, Central Asia, and North Africa
- PRISMA (Chadwyck-Healey)
Full-text articles in the interdisciplinary academic study of Hispanic and Latin America and the Caribbean Basin.
Guides to international legal research. Published by the Hauser Global Law School Program at NYU School of Law. Highly recommended!
- Constitutional Documents International Constitutional Law Project
Constitutions of the world's countries.
Official journal of the European Union; EU treaties, legislation, case-law, and legislative proposals.
- Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals (Ovid)
Access to legal literature worldwide, covering all forms of foreign (non-Anglo-American) law.
- Index to Legal Periodicals & Books (Wilson)
Indexes articles from the most important legal periodicals and law books.
Online legal library of UK, EU and Irish case law from 1163 to the present.
- LegalTrac (Gale)
Index to Canadian and American legal literature.
Legal information, international news and business information.
- PARLIT Database (Inter-Parliamentary Union)
Parliamentary law and practice index.
- United Nations Treaty Collection
Includes League of Nations and UN Treaty Series.
- Cold War Files: Interpreting History Through Documents
Historical materials by governments on all sides of the Cold War.
- US National Security Archive
Digital copies of declassified US government documents.
- Center for International Development and Conflict Management
Interdisciplinary research center at the University of Maryland. that seeks to understand and prevent conflict. The site includes publications as well as two significant data sets: the International Crisis Behavior Project and the Minorities at Risk Project
- Jane’s Military and Security Assessments
Data, intelligence reports, and analysis related to national and international defence, security, and risk developments.
- National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism
Publications and datasets, including the Global Terrorism Database and the Terrorism & Preparedness Data Resource Center
- Peace Research Abstracts, 2000 -
Articles in areas related to peace research, including conflict resolution, international affairs, peace psychology.
- Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI)
- Facts on international relations and security trends database
- Multilateral peace operations database
- Data on military expenditure, arms transfers, arms production
- Database on national export control systems
- SIPRI Yearbook: World Armaments and Disarmament
- US National Security Archive
- AccessUN (Readex)
Indexes UN documents and publications from 1946-present.
- United Nations Official Documents (ODS)
Full-text U.N. masthead documents from 1993-present, and resolutions from 1946-present.
- United Nations Bibliographic Information System (UNBISNET)
Catalogue of United Nations(UN) documents and publications indexed by the UN Dag Hammarskjöld Library and the Library of the UN Office at Geneva. Also included are Voting Records and Indexes to Speeches.
- Centre Virtuel de la Connaissance sur l’Europe (CVCE)
Contains 15,000+ documents on the historical and institutional development of the European Union from 1945 to the present day. Includes photos, audio and video clips, posters and cartoons, maps, news articles, personal correspondence, government documents, and more.
E-book collection of publications from international governmental organizations (International Labor Organization, International Organization for Migration, UN AIDS, WHO)
- NBER Working Papers (National Bureau of Economic Research)
Economic policy working papers.
- Source OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development)
OECD publications and policy research working papers.
- World Bank e-Library
World Bank publications and policy research working papers.
- CIA World Factbook
- Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU)
Country, industry and management analysis.
- Europa World Plus
- Statesman's Yearbook Online
- U.S. Library of Congress Country Studies
* More country reports are listed here
Specialized Country Profiles
- Country Indicators for Foreign Policy (CIFP)
Includes global political and demographic indicators related to political stability.
- Correlates of War
Provides access to quantitative data in international relations and the history of wars and conflict among states.
- Economic Freedom of the World reports
Reports and data from the Fraser Institute.
- Fragile States Index
Ranking of countries based on indicators of risk.
- Freedom in the World reports
Freedom House’s comparative assessment of global political rights and civil liberties.
- Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre (IDMC)
Includes regularly updated country profiles.
- International Country Risk Guide (ICRG)
Monitors 161 countries, rating a wide range of risks to international businesses & financial institutions.
- International Monteary Fund (IMF)
IMF's eLibrary provides access to periodicals, books, working papers and studies, and data and statistical tools.
- Political Risk Services: Country Data
Provides political and economic data on over 140 countries and forecasts political risk ratings.
- Polity IV Project
Data series with measures of democratic governance.
- Population Index, 1986 - 2000
World population literature.
- Transparency International
Reports, statistics, and analysis of global corruption.
- World Development Indicators (WDI) Online (World Bank)
Development indicators, with time series for 208 countries from 1970-2005.
- Statistics Canada Data (Data Liberation Initiative)
- Major U.S. Government Statistical Publications (Vanderbilt University)
Guide to significant surveys and statistical publications published by various federal agencies and departments of the United Sates government.
- International Historical Statistics (Palgrave Macmillan)
Provides access to statistics covering a wide range of socio-economic topics. It is a collection of data sets taken from hundreds of disparate primary sources, including both official national and international abstracts – back to 1750. The new online edition provides updated statistics to 2010.
- Elections Canada Online
This website provides access/links to Past Elections (1996 to present), Voter Turnouts (since 1867), and Historical Election Results in Federal Electoral Ridings (since 1867).
- U.S. Election Statistics: A Resource Guide (Library of Congress)
This guide provides a list of online and print resources that contain U.S. election statistics for both federal and state elections.
- European Election Database
The primary goal of this website is to facilitate comparative research on elections in Europe. Data is available for 35 countries from 1990 to the present.
- Manifesto Project Database
This project is based on quantitative content analyses of parties’ election programs from more than 50 countries covering all free, democratic elections since 1945.
Open access digital repository of publications and theses of McGill University faculty and students.
- Index to Theses, 1716 -
Theses with abstracts by universities in Great Britain and Ireland.
- ProQuest Dissertations and Theses, 1861 - (Proquest)
Doctoral dissertations and master's theses accepted in the USA and Canada.
- Keele Guide to Political Science on the Internet
Provides useful links to reference materials as well as lists of subject-related journals, associations, and institutes.
International Government Information
- Foreign Information by Country
From the University of Colorado at Boulder
- PARLINE Database (Inter-Parliamentary Union)
Information on the structure and working methods of 265 parliamentary chambers in all of the 189 countries where a national legislature exists.
Guides to international legal research. Published by the Hauser Global Law School Program at NYU School of Law.
- IGO search
Custom Google search of websites of intergovernmental organizations (IGOs), comprising over 3000 bodies including the United Nations, the European Commission, the World Bank, etc. Created by the Union of International Associations.
- NATO LibGuides
NATO LibGuides are web-based research guides that contain publicly available information from the Internet on topics that are of current interest to NATO's mission.
- ACE Electoral Knowledge Network
Extensive information on electoral systems and theory worldwide. Includes electoral results, calendars, etc. for individual countries.
- Election Resources on the Internet
Links to Internet sites around the world which provide complete and detailed national and local election statistics, as well as other election resources.