Julie [dot] Jones [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email)• 514-398-5727
- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
- Cultural Geography: a Critical Dictionary of Key Concepts
- Dictionary of Human Geography
- Encyclopedia of Urban Studies
- Handbook of Cultural Geography
- International Encyclopedia of Human Geography
- The Oxford Companion to Global Change
- McGill Library Guide to Maps & Geospatial Data
- McGill Library Guide to Statistics & Data
- TRAM GIS Data Archive - Demographic, environment/infrastructure, and transportation-related GIS data for Montreal, Canada, and North America. Register using your McGill email to create a login.
- Montreal Open Data Portal - Free data on all aspects of Montreal, arranged thematically.
- Open Data portals at the provincial and municipal level across Canada
- Open Data portals at the city, county, and state level in the U.S.
- SimplyMap Canada - Enables non-technical users to create thematic maps and reports comparing demographic information across geographic regions. GIS users can export data and corresponding shapefiles and use them in ArcGIS. Click "Create Account" top create a login. Limit of 5 concurrent users: if you cannot log in, try again later. To access without saving work click on "Sign in as a guest".
To find a specific journal or article for which you have the title of the journal, see our Find Journals guide.
These databases are the best places to start when searching for articles on Human Geography topics:
- GEOBASE - Multidisciplinary database containing research on the earth sciences, ecology, geology, human and physical geography, environmental sciences, oceanography, geomechanics, alternative energy sources, pollution, waste management, and nature conservation.
- PAIS International - Covers global public policy, social issues, demography, environmental studies, general social sciences.
- Scopus - A major multidisciplinary database that includes backward and forward citation linking as well as citation counts. Includes the contents of GEOBASE.
- Web of Science - A major multidisciplinary database for the Social Sciences, Arts & Humanities, as well as the Sciences. Includes backward and forward citation linking as well as citation counts.
- Africa-Wide Information - Multidisciplinary database covering all aspects of Africa and African Studies.
- CAB Abstracts - Covers agriculture, forestry, health, natural resources management, and tourism.
- Environmental Sciences and Pollution Management Database - Multidisciplinary, comprehensive coverage of the environmental sciences.
- Google Scholar - Searches scholarly literature across disciplines and sources and includes some grey literature. Search commands differ from those in academic databases, so use the Google search tips here: google_tips_handout.pdf.
- GreenFILE - Focuses on human impact on the environment. Topics covered include green issues, global climate change, green building, pollution, sustainable agriculture, renewable energy, recycling, and more.
- GREENR - Devoted to the study of sustainability and the environment and provides access to academic articles, news articles, background information, video, primary source documents and statistics.
- OECD iLibrary - Online library of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. OECD publications cover economic, environmental, and social issues including trade, education, labour, social policy, health, finance, development, energy, sustainability, and science and innovation.
- MEDLINE (1996- ) (or search via PubMed) - Journal article database of the National Library of Medicine in the U.S. Some coverage of health-related topics in Geography such as global health, social determinants of health, and climate change issues.
- Social Sciences Full Text - Coverage of both applied and theoretical aspects of the Social Sciences, including Economics, Environmental Studies, Gender Studies, Geography, Planning & Public Administration, Policy Sciences, Political Science, Sociology, and Urban Studies.
- Urban Studies Abstracts - Covers areas essential to urban studies, including city planning, urban affairs, community development, transportation, and urban design.
- Carleton University's Find Canadian Government Publications on the Web
Google Custom Search that searches across Canadian government websites with the option to limit to federal, provincial, or municipal information.
- Canadian electronic library: Canadian public policy collection
Publications from Canadian public policy institutes, government agencies, advocacy groups, think tanks, university research centres, and public interest groups.
- IGO Search
Google Custom Search of IGO websites for reports and other publications.
- NGO Search
Custom Google Search of NGO websites for reports and other publications
- Google Scholar
Searches scholarly literature across disciplines and sources and includes some grey literature.
- McGill Library Subject Guide for Theses and Dissertations
Lists sources for locating theses and dissertations from McGill and beyond.
- McGill Library Subject Guide for Conference Papers
Lists sources for locating conference papers and presentations. Conference papers and presentations report research in-progress.
- CIA World Factbook
- Poverty Reduction and Equity: World Bank
- UN-HABITAT: United Nations Human Settlements Programme
- UN Human Development Reports and Data
- DataBank, The World Bank
- World Health Organization
- World Resources Institute