Lonnie [dot] Weatherby [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email)• 514-398-5031
- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
Guides to the Literature
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- American National Biography Online
- Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online
- Dictionary of Irish Biography
- Oxford English Dictionary
- Blackwell Reference Online
- Gale Virtual Reference
- Oxford Reference
- Credo Reference
- Dictionary of Literary Biography Complete Online
- Literary Encyclopedia
- Companion to Digital Literary Studies
- Chicago Manual of Style Online
- MLA handbook for writers of research papers
- OWL (Purdue Online Writing Lab)
Searching the Library Catalogue
WorldCat - Library Catalogue/Discovery Tool
- Finding Books, etc
Use WorldCat to find books, journals, articles, and other resources, in both print or electronic format. Your search will cover McGill's entire collection of resources, and can be expanded to include the collections of libraries worldwide.
Classic - Library Catalogue
- Finding Books, etc
Use the classic catalogue to search for print books, journals, DVDs, and other items that are in McGill's collection.
Core and Additional Databases
Periodical Indexes & Full-text Databases
- English Short Title Catalogue (1473-1800)
(an index but the backbone to EEBO & ECCO)
- Nineteenth Century Short Title Catalogue (1801-1919)
- Archive finder
- Nineteenth Century, in association with the British Library
Full-text Primary Sources
- British Literary Manuscripts Online
- Literary manuscripts : Victorian Manuscripts from the Henry W. and Albert A. Berg Collection of the New York Public Library
- Literary manuscripts. 17th and 18th century poetry from the Brotherton Library, University of Leeds
- Perdita manuscripts: women writers, 1500-1700
- Gerritsen Collection of Aletta H. Jacobs
- Orlando, women’s writing in the British Isles from the beginnings to the present
- DEEP:database of early english playbooks
- Early European Books: printed sources to 1700
- EEBO: Early English Books Online (1475-1700)
- Eighteenth Century Collections Online (1701-1899)
- Sabin Americana 1500-1926.
- Early American Imprints. Series 1, Evans (1639-1800).
- Early American Imprints. Series 2, (1801-1819).
- America's Historical Imprints (Series I and II)
- Hathi Trust Digital Library
- Eighteenth Century Journals: a portal to Newspapers and Periodicals, c. 1685-1835
- American Periodicals (1740-1940).
- 17th-18th century Burney Collection Newspapers
- Past Masters: works and correspondence of selected authors
- Electronic Enlightenment - (17th-18th Century letters, documents, and correspondence).
- North American Theatre Online - (Texts and production info).
Multimedia collections:books,periodicals,pamphlets,photos,maps,filmclips, etc.
Nineteenth century collections online (see British theatre, music and literature: high and popular culture)
- ProQuest Dissertations and Theses
- MLA International Bibliography
- Annual Bibliography of English Language and Literature
- Periodicals Archive Online
- Literature Online
- Literature Resource Center
- Oxford Bibliographies Online: British and Irish Literature
- International Medieval Bibliography
- Bibliographie Internationale de l'Humanisme et de la Renaissance
- Iter: Gateway to the Middle Ages and the Renaissance
- Wellesley index to Victorian periodicals, 1824-1900
- 19th century masterfile
- C19, the nineteenth century index
- International Index to the Performing Arts
- Theatre in Video
- Cambridge Histories Online
- Shakespeare Collection
- World Shakespeare Bibliography
- Canadian electronic library. Canadian publishers collection.
- Canadian Literary Centre
- Canadian Reference Centre
- Gender Studies Database
- Academic Search Complete
- Expanded Academic ASAP
- Humanities Full Text
- Humanities and Social Sciences Index Retrospective
- Science in the Nineteenth Century
- Oxford Scholarship Online
- Film Index International
- Film Literature Index
- FIAF International Index to Film Periodicals plus
- Films on Demand
- NFB (National Film Board of Canada)
- The Year's Work in English Studies
- The Year's Work in Critical and Cultural Theory
- Bibliography of British and Irish History
- Historical Abstracts
- Gale NewsVault
- American Periodicals (1740-1940)
- Times Digital Archive (1785-2007)
- New York Times (1851-2010)
- Washington Post (1877-1997)
Selected Internet Sites
Accessible to anyone with an Internet connection.
- Literary Resources on the Net
Maintained by Jack Lynch, Asst. Prof. of English, Rutgers University.
- Voice of the Shuttle: English Literature
- EServer: Accessible Online Publishing
Links to a variety of resources in field of English literature (among other subjects): full texts, journals, literary theory, gender criticism, etc.
- Literary Index (Gale)
Master index to every literary series published by Gale, many of which are located in the McLennan Reference collection and/or at the Literature Resource Center (Gale) and including Contemporary Authors , Contemporary Literary Criticism, Dictionary of Literary Biography, Literature Criticism from 1400 to 1800, Nineteenth-Century Literature Criticism, Something About the Author, Shakespearean Criticism, and Twentieth Century Literary Criticism.
- Romantic Chronology
Database searchable by date and/or topic, of historic and literary personnages, events, and movements in the romantic period (17th - 19th century), with links to online articles, bibliographies, web pages, historical and literary sources, etc.
- Online Literary Criticism
- Twentieth-century Authors
- Luminarium: Sixteenth Century Renaissance English Literature (1485-1603)
- Online Chaucer Bibliography
Includes materials from the Annotated Chaucer Bibliography published annually in Studies in the Age of Chaucer.
- Contemporary Postcolonial and Postimperial Literature in English
- Old English at the University of Virginia
Includes Old English Aerobics, a series of texts and exercises for students of old English.
- Internet Library of Early Journals: A digital library of 18th and 19th Century journals
Ca. 20 consecutive years of Gentleman's Magazine, The Annual Register, Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, Notes and Queries, The Builder, and Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine.
Concordances (Internet Resources)
- Web Concordances
For selected works by Shelley, Coleridge, Keats, Blake, Wordsworth, and Gerard Manley Hopkins.
- Victorian Literary Studies Archive: Hyper-Concordance
To works of over 100 authors.