pamela [dot] harrison [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email)• 514-398-6272
Prevention, wellness, and disease information
- CISMeF-patients: Sites médicaux francophones à destination des patients et de leurs familles |FRENCH|
A directory of French-language sites from Canada, Belgium, and France.
- College of Family Physicians of Canada - Patient Education Program / Collège des médecins de famille du Canada - Programme d'éducation des patients
Factsheets with summaries of common problems in family medicine.
- Portail santé mieux-être |FRENCH| (Government of Quebec)
News on health issues, advice and prevention, assistance measures and programs, and finding resources.
- Healthwise Knowledgebase
Contains comprehensive, current, evidence-based information for consumers, including health topics, medical tests, medications and complementary & alternative medicine.
- Healthy Ontario / Santé Ontario |FRENCH|
This site, from the Ontario Ministry of Health Promotion is a large, bilingual site providing drug and disease as well as health promotion information reviewed by health professionals.
- JAMA Network - for Patients
The Journal of the American Medical Association's patient pages are listed here for convenient browsing and printing.
- Lab Tests Online
For descriptions of medical tests - what they look for, and how they work.
- Clinical Key
After searching for your topic, click on 'Related Patient Information'.
- MEDLINEplus (U.S. National Library of Medicine) |SPANISH|
A directory of disease and drug information from reliable American associations. Includes "Easy-To-Read" links and interactive tutorials for many diseases and conditions.
- Sexualityandu.ca |FRENCH|
A Canadian website for teens, adults, and health professionals about all issues surroudning human sexuality.
- TRIP Database: Turning Research Into Practice - Select "Patient Information" after search
This Welsh site is a search engine retrieving information, particularly evidence-based information, from over 50 sites, including 4,200 patient information leaflets.
This database includes patient information handouts for many topics, some of which are freely accessible.
- Women's Health Matters (Sunnybrook & Women’s College Health Sciences Centre) |FRENCH|
This website contains original information pertaining to women's health as well as a searchable database of quality print, electronic, and multimedia information sources.
Decision tools for patients
- Familydoctor.org - Search by Symptom
- Healthline Symptom Search
- Mayo Clinic Symptom Checker
- MEDgle Symptomatix
- Ottawa Health Institute - Patient Decision Aids |FRENCH|
Some major websites with disease information
- The Arthritis Society |FRENCH|
- Canadian Cancer Society / Société canadienne du cancer |FRENCH|
- Canadian Liver Foundation |FRENCH|
- Canadian Lung Association |FRENCH|
- Diabetes Quebec |FRENCH|
- Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada |FRENCH|
- Hepatitis C Society of Canada
- The Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists of Canada: Patient Pamphlet Library |FRENCH|
Multicultural health information
- Cancer Index - Resources in languages other than English
- Centre for Addiction and Mental Health - Information in languages other than English
- Consumer Health Brochures in Multiple Languages (The 24 Languages Project)
- EthnoMed - Patient Education Resources
- Health Translations Directory (Victorian Government Health Information, AU)
- Multicultural and Multilingual Health Information (California Health Literacy Initiative)
- Other Language Resources (National Network of Libraries of Medicine, US)
- SPIRAL - Selected Patient Information Resources in Asian Languages
- Health Information in Inuktitut (University of Manitoba Health Sciences Libraries)
Drug information and alternative therapies
- Guide to Less Toxic Products (Environmental Health Association of Nova Scotia)
Lists alternative products for personal care, household cleaning, baby care, and household pest control.
- Household Products Database: Health and Safety Information on Household Products
A searchable database of common household products which lists all ingredients. Can also be searched by chemical ingredient.
- Consumer Guides (Environmental Working Group)
Safety information for a range of consumer products, including beauty products, food, cleaning products, and electronics.
Consumer health information centres
- Bibliothèque du CHU Sainte-Justine : Guide Info-Famille
- Jewish General Hospital Patient and Family Resource Centre
Sir Mortimer B. Davis Jewish General Hospital
- MCH Family Resource Library
Montreal Children’s Hospital, MUHC
- MUHC Health Education Collection
Montreal General Hospital, MUHC
- Neuro-Patient Resource Centre
Montreal Neurological Hospital, McGill University Health Centre
- RVH Health Library - Patient Resources
Royal Victoria Hospital, McGill University Health Centre
Regional health services
- Québec Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux
- Agence de la santé et des services sociaux de Montréal - see 'Où aller' to locate services near you
- Wendy Patrick Collection - McGill Life Sciences Library
- Griffith's Instructions for Patients (8th edition, 2011)
Quality, reliability, and readability of health information
- Health on the Net Foundation - Guide to evaluating online health information
- Medical Information on the Internet: Guide for Health Reporters and Consumers - A tutorial from the Medical Library Association