- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
- martin [dot] morris [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Request a One on One Consult) - indicate YOUR specific availability and preferred times
- Library Hours
- Accessing Online Resources - on and off campus
- McGill Student ID Card - required to borrow library material, use library services and enter the McIntyre Medical Sciences building after 6:00pm and on weekends
- Borrowing from the Library
- Library Catalogue
- Loan Periods for Students / Loan Periods for Staff
- Your Library Account - view material you have signed out, renewals, fines, etc
- Borrowing from Other Libraries (Interlibrary Loans)
- uPrint - printing in the McGill Libraries
- EndNote - download latest version. Getting Help
- Health Sciences Resources for your Mobile / Health Science Mobile Guide
- Additional Subject Guides in the Health Sciences
- Life Sciences Library
Sources for Background Information
- Harrison's Online, latest edition - Chapter 32 and 32e - Oral Manifestations of Disease. Start here!
- Cohen’s pathways of the pulp, 10th ed., 2010
- Dental Management of the Medically Compromised Patient, 8th ed, 2012
- Mosby's Dental Dictionary, 2008
- Mosby's Dental Drug Reference, 10th ed., 2011
- Oxford American Handbook of Clinical Dentistry, 2008
- Netter's Head and Neck Anatomy for Dentistry, 2nd ed, 2011
- Statistical and Methodological Aspects of Oral Health Research, 2009
Core and Additional Databases
- MEDLINE (1996-) - biomedicine. Includes Index to Dental Literature. Start here!
MEDLINE, 1946 - - complete MEDLINE database
- Catalog of Surveys and Archive of Procedures Related to Oral Health - a two-part US based oral health database. The Catalog describes surveys and studies; the Archive describes clinical indices, questionnaires, and other methods of measuring oral health. Updated March 2011
- CPS: Compendium of Pharmaceuticals & Specialties / CPSP: Compendium des produits et spécialités pharmaceutiques - Canadian drugs and therapeutics. Current edition
- Database of Online Health Statistics - search by nation, government agency, or research group
- EMBASE, (1996 -) - biomedicine. Broad coverage of the European literature. NOTE: allows a limited number of simultaneous users.
EMBASE, 1947 -
- ERIC (1966 - ) - education, including dental education. Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Education.
- ERIC (1966 -) - free (open access) version of the ERIC database listed above
- GIDEON (Global Infectious Diseases and Epidemiology Online Network) - a decision support application covering infectious diseases, microbiology and toxicology worldwide
- Google Scholar - restricts Google results to authoritative resources. Use Advanced Scholar Search to limit results by date, format, etc. If phrase searching, use quotation marks to increase relevance and decrease retrieval
Google Images - remember to credit the source of the image
Google Video - remember to credit the source of the video
- Health & Psychosocial Instruments (1985 -) - health instruments, surveys, questionnaires, etc.
- Lexicomp Online for Dentistry - a strong set of databases with comprehensive drug information, diagnosis and treatment guidelines and reviews of clinical principles. Also includes patient/consumer health information.
- McGill Library Global Health Resource Guide - created as a wiki, this resource guide attempts to promote collaboration in the field of global health
- MD Consult Dental Collection - 8 dental e-books
- MD Consult Core Collection - a clinical collection containing e-books and several e-journals, practice guidelines, a drug database, and over 5,000 patient information pamphlets
- MedlinePLUS - an excellent resource for patient/consumer health information. Provides drug and disease related links as well as interactive tutorials
- ProQuest Dissertations and Theses Online - international listing of doctoral dissertations and master's theses. Provides full text. Coverage varies
- PsycInfo (1987 -) - psychological, behavioral and emotional impact of disease
PsycInfo (1806 -)
- PUBMED (1946 -) - free (open access) version of MEDLINE. Includes Index to Dental Literature
- SCOPUS (1823 -) - multidisciplinary. Provides citation indexing, patent searching, H-index indicators etc.
- STAT!Ref Electronic Medical Library - clinical collection. To view dentistry titles, click in the "Search by Discipline" drop down menu and select "dentistry". Applicable titles will be highlighted
- Web of Science (1900 -) - multidisciplinary. Features citation indexing, H-index indicators and access to Journal Citation Reports for journal impact factors
Point of Care / Evidence Based Resources
- UpToDate - provides concise answers to patient care, diagnosis and treatment questions. Start here!
- ADA. Center for Evidence Based Dentistry - excellent collection of EBD resources by the American Dental Association
- CMA Infobase: Clinical Practice Guidelines (CPGs) / Infobanque AMC: Guides de pratique clinique (GPC) - created and maintained by the Canadian Medical Association
Handbook on clinical practice guidelines (CMA) / Manuel sur les guides de pratique clinique
- ACP Pier - alphabetical listing of more than 300 diseases and conditions.
- Clinical Evidence - click on "Conditions" and then select "Oral Health". Provides information on a small list of common dental problems and interventions
- Cochrane Library - high-quality, independent evidence. Contains the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews.
- Cochrane Oral Health Group - access to on-going systematic reviews or protocols in oral health
- Centre for Evidence-based Dentistry (UK) - promotes teaching, learning, practice and evaluation of evidence-based dentistry world-wide
- The Dental Elf (UK) - daily blog providing brief summaries highlighting evidence-based publications in dentistry
- Essential Evidence Plus - evidence-based, point-of-care clinical decision support system
- Evidence-Based Dentistry (v. 1 -, 1998 - ) - the leading EBD journal provides 1 page summaries of clinically important dental research. Articles older than 5 years are free to all
- Evidence-Based Dentistry: A-Z Systematic Reviews - ADA derived list of systematic reviews from the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews
- EvidenceUpdates - a collaboration between the BMJ Group and McMaster University's Health Information Research Unit. Free registration required
- Evidentista Clinical Questions & Answers - concise, clinical evidence produced by the Pan American Centers for Evidence Based Dentistry. In English, Spanish, or Portuguese
- Journal of Evidence-Based Dental Practice (v. 1 -, 2001 -) - reviews of high quality dental research
- National Guideline Clearinghouse™ (NGC) - international clinical practice guidelines. Can compare 2 or more guidelines
- PubMed Clinical Queries - user-friendly approach to evidence-based searching in PubMed
- Systematic Reviews in Dentistry Published in PubMed - embedded search strategy
- Users' Guides to the Medical Literature (JAMA) - excellent introduction to evidence based practice by EBM experts.
Search Engines for Evidence Based Practice
- TRIP: Turning Research Into Practice - searches high quality medical literature from a wide range of EBM sources. Start here!
- EviDents Search Engine: for evidence-based dentistry - a medical search engine for evidence-based dentistry research
- SUMSearch 2 - searches high quality medical information. Provides access to NEJM's Image Challenge and Cases with CME
- iTunes U - provides access to lectures, course materials, academic apps, etc
- NEJM Clinical Videos - 30+ videos in different aspects of clinical medicine
- ResearchChannel at YouTube - provides over 460 videos and broadcast streaming. Click on Subscribe to receive notification when new videos are posted
- YouTube EDU - educational videos. Use the search function to locate videos of interest.
If you are searching the main YouTube site, conduct your search, click on Search Options at the top left of the results window, and limit results by Categories --> Education or Duration --> Long (20~ minutes)
Dental Education and Certification in Canada
- Association of Canadian Faculties of Dentistry (ACFD) - promotes issues regarding university-based dental education
- Canadian Dental Association / Association dentaire canadienne - the national voice for dentistry
- Certification and Licensure - outlines process for obtaining certification and licensure as a Canadian dentist. Requirements for certification and licensure vary from province to province
- Code of Ethics - the set of principles of professional conduct
- Dental Aptitude Test (DAT) - an admission requirement for all North American dental schools
- Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada / Commission de l'agrément dentaire du Canada - an autonomous body responsible for accrediting all levels of dental education programs in Canada
- National Dental Examining Board of Canada (NDEB) - certification by the National Dental Examining Board of Canada (NDEB) is mandatory, except in Quebec. Graduates of accredited dental programs are required to successfully complete 1) the NDEB Written Examination, and 2) the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) for certification in Canada.
- Ordre des dentistes du Québec - adheres to high standards of dental practice and ethical conduct in Québec.
- Royal College of Dentists of Canada (RCDC) - established in 1965 to promote high standards of specialization in the dental profession
Dental Education and Certification in the U.S and Elsewhere
- American Dental Association (ADA) - the US professional association committed to education, oral health, ethics, etc
- National Board Dental Examinations (NBDE) - provides information and sample questions for NDBE Part 1, NDBE Part 2, and Dental Hygiene
- American Dental Education Association (ADEA) - serves the allied, predoctoral, and postdoctoral dental education community.
Other Dental Sites of Interest
- McGill University. Faculty of Dentistry
- FDI World Dental Federation - independent, international based dental website
- Forsyth Institute - dedicated to advancing oral health and human wellbeing through scientific discovery and education
- International Association for Dental Research (IADR) - provides the latest information on dental, oral and craniofacial research
- International Federation of Dental Educators and Association’s (IFDEA) - seeks to improve global health by improving oral health
- National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR) attempts to improve oral, dental and craniofacial health through research, research training, and the dissemination of health information
- Oral Health Resources from the CDC - focuses on the activities of CDC’s Division of Oral Health
WHO Oral Health - global information on dental diseases and oral health services