emily [dot] mackenzie [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email)• 514-398-7577
- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
- Encyclopedia of Animal Science / in Macdonald Campus Library Reference SF61 E43 2005 REF
- Black's veterinary dictionary
- Encyclopedia of dairy sciences
- Grzimek's animal life encyclopedia
- Mason's world dictionary of livestock breeds, types, and varieties
- The encyclopedia of historic and endangered livestock and poultry breeds
- Animal Health and Production Compendium: resource from CABI, covering "animal diseases, their pathogens and vectors, as well as animal husbandry, genetics and nutrition of livestock and poultry species and breeds"
- Animal nutrition science / Dryden, Gordon McL. SF95 D79 2008
- Animal science and industry / Cunningham, Merle. SF61 A3 2005
- Scientific farm animal production: An introduction to animal science / Field, Thomas G. SF61 T39 2012
- Understanding animal breeding / Bourdon, Richard M. SF105 B67 2000
Searching the Library Catalogue
For more resources in Animal Science, consult the library catalogue: McGill WorldCat.
You can also search the library catalogue by subject. The following is a list of example subject headings used in the catalogue:
You can also browse the shelves at the following call numbers:
QL 799-799.5: Animal morphology
QL 801-950.9: Animal anatomy
QP 501-801: Animal biochemistry
SF 1-1100: Animal culture, including:
SF 94.5-99: Animal nutrition and feeding
SF 105-113: Breeding
SF 140 B54: Animal biotechnology
SF 191-275: Cattle, including:
SF 221-275: Dairying and dairy products
SF 391-397.83: Swine
SF 481-507: Poultry
SF 600-1100: Veterinary Medicine, including:
SF 951-997.5: Animal diseases
Ebooks are also listed in the Library Catalogue (McGill WorldCat), or they may be searched by individual collection/provider, for example:
- CRCnetBASE: Allows access to full text to handbooks, references, and monographs published by CRC Press. Can search content or browse the Agriculture and Life Science categories.
- ScienceDirect: Provides detailed and exhaustive coverage of chapters of books in the agricultural, biological and environmental sciences. McGill subscriptions are indicated by a bright green square box.
- SpringerLink Books: Provides online access to chapters from over 15,500 book titles. Extensive coverage of Animal Science and related topics under the Biomedical and Life Sciences subject category. Includes journal articles as well, but can limit to books in the Advanced Search. McGill subscriptions are indicated by a bright green square box.
To see more ebook collections/providers available, please see the ebooks & media website
- Agricola: 1970 to present. Indexes more than 2,000 serial titles as well as books, pamphlets, conference proceedings, research reports, government documents, monographs, theses, patents, software, audiovisual content, and microforms pertaining to all aspects of agriculture.
- Biological and Agricultural Index Plus: 1983 to present. Provides access to the core literature of biology and agriculture, including animal science.
- BIOSIS Previews: 1969 to the present. Encompasses the entire field of life sciences and provides comprehensive coverage of the world's published biological and biomedical research, including traditional areas of biology, such as botany, zoology and microbiology, as well as experimental, clinical and veterinary medicine, biotechnology, environmental studies, and agriculture.
- CAB Abstracts: 1973 to the present. A bibliographic database compiled by CAB INTERNATIONAL. It covers the significant research and development literature in the fields of agriculture, forestry, aspects of human health, human nutrition, animal health, and the management and conservation of natural resources.
- PubMed: 1950 to present. PubMed provides access to MEDLINE, the National Library of Medicine's bibliographic database covering medicine, including veterinary medicine, and the life sciences.
- Zoological Record: 1978 to 2012. Records cover every aspect of zoology, including biochemistry, behavior, ecology, evolution, genetics, etc. Access is provided by author, taxon name, subject, geographical or paleontological terms.
- Animal Biotechnology
- Animal Genetics
- Animal Reproduction Science
- Applied Animal Behaviour Science
- British Poultry Science
- Canadian Journal of Animal Science
- Domestic Animal Endocrinology
- Journal of Animal Science
- Journal of Dairy Research
- Journal of Dairy Science
- Poultry Science