This is a guide to the data resources available at McGill University and elsewhere for URBP 622 students.
The main page for maps and geospatial data available via the Library can be found here.
The TRAM GIS Data Archive contains demographic, environmental, and transportation-related GIS data for Montreal, Canada, and North America. Register using your McGill email to create a login.
- CanMap Street Files. Canada. Detailed Street Data for Canada including General Points of Interest, and Political Boundaries.
- Enhanced Points of Interest (DMTI). Canada. Locations of businesses, institutions, and other points of interest.
- Platinum Postal Suite (DMTI) (renamed as CanMap Postal Code Suite in 2013). Postal Code Locations in Canada.
- Socio-economic boundaries of Quebec 1:250 000.
- SimplyMap Canada - Enables non-technical users to create thematic maps and reports comparing demographic across geographic regions. GIS users can export data and corresponding shapefiles and use them in ArcGIS. Click "Create Account" top create a login. Limit of 5 concurrent users: if you cannot log in, try again later. To access without saving work click on "Sign in as a guest".
- Montreal Cartographic Plans
- Montreal Cadastral Plans
- Montreal General Landuse
- REEM 2000. Census of Establishments and Employment in Montreal, 2000.
- Index map of Montréal land use plans (1954-1990) and fire insurance plans (1914-1972) available at the BaNQ. Most have been digitized and can be downloaded.
- Montreal Open Data Portal. Free data on all aspects of Montreal, arranged thematically. Themes that will be of particular interest to Planning students are Urbanisme et Habitation, Infrastructures, and Environnement.
- Canada Census Cartographic and Boundary Files 1981-2006 (GIS). GIS files of Census Tracts, Census Subdivisions, etc..
- Census Boundary Files 1996 and 2001. (DMTI).
- Canadian Census Analyser 1986-2006 (Census Data files). Attribute data to join with the Census Boundary/Cartographic Files.
- Census Boundary Maps (PDF format)
- GeoGratis Portal
- Atlas of Canada (See Toporama)
- Quebec Topographic Database - Base de données topographiques du Québec (BDTQ)
- Digital Elevation Models