- richard.virr [at] mcgill.ca (Dr. Richard Virr)
Useful class handouts
Useful web page links
- John Carter's "ABC For Book Collectors".
- Latin Place Names A listing of Latin place names found in books published before 1801 and their equivalents in the venacular, as well as links to other useful sources of translation, such as Latin terms.
- Piccard Collection of Watermarks This is a database of 92 000 paper watermarks.
- Printers' Devices A database of the "trademark" symbols used by printers.
- Printers' Devices This database displays printers' devices images used by the printers included in the Library Catalogue of the University of Barcelona. Every record has a link to retrieve records of the books in the Ancient Books Library.
- The Society for the History of Authorship, Reading & Publishing A general online reference database from SHARP.
- Osler Library of the History of Medicine Online Reference Sources
Useful web page links - Conservation/Cataloguing
- British Library Database of Bookbindings
- Cornell University Preservation and Collection Maintenance
- Digital Preservation Tutorial
- Northeast Document Conservation Center
- Parker, James: A glossary of terms used in heraldry
- Preservation 101 Tutorial
- Rare Book School
- Rare Books and Manuscripts Section (RBMS) of the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL), a division of the American Library Association (ALA)
- RDA: Resource Description and Access
Questions about this page should be directed to
richard.virr [at] mcgill.ca (Dr. Richard Virr) , Rare Books and Special Collections.