- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
Ask for GEOG 403 course reserves by call number at the Loans Desk (Reserves) of the appropriate library.
Sources for background information
Please see the McGill Library Global Health Resource Guide for indepth coverage of resources for Global Health.
Dictionaries and encyclopedias
- Collins dictionary of biology
- Concise medical dictionary
- Dictionary of biology
- Dictionary of ecology
- Dictionary of ecology and the environment Life Sciences Library Regular Loan QH540.4 C65 2001
- Dictionary of geography
- Dictionary of physical geography
- Dictionary of public health
- The Encyclopaedic dictionary of environmental change Humanities and Social Sciences Library Reference GE10 E534 2001
- Encyclopedia of global environmental change Schulich Library Reference GE149 E443 2002
- Encyclopedia of primary prevention and health promotion Life Sciences Library Regular Loan WA13 E5655 2003
- Environmental encyclopedia Schulich Library Reference GE10 E57
Searching the library catalogue
|Truncation symbol:||?||e.g. urban? will retrieve catalogue records containing the words urban, urbanization, urbanisation, etc.|
|Phrase searching:||"___"||e.g. "west nile" will retrieve catalogue records containing the phrase west nile|
|Boolean operators:||(), AND, OR, NOT |
|e.g. urbanization AND (hiv OR aids) will retrieve catalogue records containing the word urbanization AND either hiv OR aids|
Finding articles on your topic
- Medline (medicine)
- Web of science (multidisciplinary)
- CAB abstracts (agriculture, management and conservation of natural resources, human health, animal health)
- Environmental sciences and pollution management database (environmental sciences)
- BIOSIS previews (biology, veterinary medicine, environmental studies, agriculture)
- GeoRef (earth sciences)
- Scopus (multidisciplinary)
- GEOBASE (physical and human geography)
You may also wish to consult the full list of databases available through McGill Library.
Most of the Library's licensed electronic resources, such as databases, full-text online journals and e-books, are restricted to McGill students, faculty, staff and other authorized users of the McGill Library. Find out about accessing the Library's online resources from on and off campus.
Writing and referencing your research paper
Consult these resources for tips on how to write a research paper. Click on the call number to find out the McGill Library where the book is located.
|Introduction to scientific geographic research||G73 H36 1992|
|An introduction to scientific research methods in geography||G73 M58 2006|
|The Little, Brown essential handbook||PE1112 A27 2008|
|The Little, Brown handbook||PE1112 F685 2008|
|Making sense : a student’s guide to research and writing : geography & environmental sciences||G70 N67 2007|
|Writing research papers : a complete guide||LB2369 L4 2005|
The Vancouver Style (also known as the Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts Submitted to Biomedical Journals)
Several online resources provide examples of how to use the Vancouver Style:
- International Committee of Medical Journal Editors Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts Submitted to Biomedical Journals: Sample References, a guide produced by the U.S. National Library of Medicine with samples of how to cite electronic material.
- Citing Medicine: the NLM Style Guide for Authors, Editors, and Publishers, a detailed guide produced by the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
- Vancouver Style (Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts Submitted to Biomedical Journals), a citing and referencing tutorial produced by Monash University.
- To find abbreviations of journal titles, please consult PubMed's Journal Database.
Selected internet sites for health geography
- Climate change 2007 - The physical science basis: Working Group I contribution to the 4th Assessment Report of the IPCC
- Climate change 2007 - Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability: Working Group II contribution to the 4th Assessment Report of the IPCC
- Climate change 2007 - Mitigation of climate change: Working Group III contribution to the 4th Assessment Report of the IPCC
- Global Health Facts.org
- McGill Global Health Programs
- World Health Organization
Compiled by tara.mawhinney [at] mcgill.ca (Tara Mawhinney) and jill.boruff [at] mcgill.ca (Jill Boruff)