eamon.duffy [at] mcgill.ca (Email)• 514-398-4697
- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
Sources for Background Information
- International Encyclopedia of Human Geography
- Population Health Concepts and Methods
- Encyclopedia of Public Health
- International Encyclopedia of Public Health
- A Dictionary of Public Health
- Social Determinants of Health: The Canadian Facts
Databases for Finding Articles
- PubMed - Database containing MEDLINE, OLDMEDLINE, and other non-indexed citations
search also via MEDLINE on OvidSP (1946 -)
- Global Health on Ovid (1910 -)
- Cochrane Library - Cochrane and other systematic reviews of interventions (including prevention), clinical trials, econonmic evaluations, technology assessments
- Web of Science - Multidisciplinary; includes citation searching
- Scopus - Multidisciplinary; includes citation searching
- Google Scholar - Multidisciplinary; includes citation searching
- World Development Indicators - Broad social, economic and health statistics
- UNdata - Broad social, economic and health statistics
- Economist Intelligence Unit Data - Broad social, economic and health statistics
- WHO Global Health Observatory - Health statistics
- Statcompiler - Health statistics for developing countries
- UNICEF - Data on children and mothers
- UNESCO Institute for Statistics - Education and culture statistics
- LABORSTA - Labour and workplace health and safety statistics
- FAOSTAT - Food, diet and agriculture statistics
- OECD.stat - provides data on the OECD's 30 member countries only.
- Eurostat - Broad social, economic and health statistics for the EU countries
- National Household Survey (NHS)
- Health Trends
- Health Indicators
- Quebec Health Statistics
- Canadian Health Region Maps
Statistics within publications
Maps and geospatial data
- McGill Library Guide to Maps & Geospatial Data - GIS data owned by McGill Library. See especially CanMap Streetfiles and Enhanced Points of Interest.
- TRAM GIS Data Archive - Demographic, environment, neighborhood, and transportation-related GIS data for Montreal, Canada, and North America. Register using your McGill email to create a login. VPN required if off campus.
- Montreal Open Data Portal - Free data on all aspects of Montreal, arranged thematically. Themes that will be of particular interest to health geography students are Urbanisme et Habitation, Infrastructures, and Environnement.
- Canadian Health Region Boundary Files - Digital boundary files reflecting health region limits in effect as of 2013.
- Atlas de la Santé et des Services Sociaux du Québec - Various geospatial data on Health and Social Services of Quebec in the following categories: territory, population, indicators, resources and services and customers. The data are presented in a navigator where several tools are available: select, measure, annotate, print, search, and data analysis, etc.
- Atlas Santé Montréal, Atlas Santé Québec - View and analyze health-related data for Montreal and Quebec in map form.
- GIS Data at le Centre de recherche Léa-Roback - Health and socioeconomic datasets for the Montreal area
- SimplyMap Canada - Enables non-technical users to create thematic maps and reports comparing demographic information across geographic regions. GIS users can export data and corresponding shapefiles and use them in ArcGIS. Click "Create Account" top create a login. Limit of 5 concurrent users: if you cannot log in, try again later. To access without saving work click on "Sign in as a guest".