michael.david.miller [at] mcgill.ca (Email)• 514-398-7440
- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
Prepared for Prof. Louis Fortier
The Humanities & Social Sciences Library receives a print copy of the New York Times daily. It can be located on the main floor of the McLennan building in the newspaper room.
For information on op-eds and editorials, see this article from the New York Times.
See also PressDisplay (a database of fully scanned images of newspapers from around the world)
Assignment 2 & 3
Review the charity’s/client’s website as well as their annual report.
Who is our target audience?
- Stats Can Community Profiles 2006 & 2011 - Provides demographic information (sex, age, income etc) for residents of a particular postal code in Canada.
- PMB- Provides demographic makeup of Canadian consumers of a particular product (such as banking services), see this video for instructions in use. Note: Works only in Internet Explorer & Mozilla.
- FP Markets Canadian Demographics 2012 - Provides demographic information (sex, age, income etc) for residents by city in Canada. More up to date than the Stats Can Community Profiles.
- Statistics Canada- provides a variety of statistics on the Canadian population
What is the best way to reach them?
For demographic information on magazine subscribers and television viewers see:
- PMB- See the PMB Spring 2012 tab à Readershipà Demographics of Readers.
For trends in ecommerce and social media see:
For a listing of different media outlets & media trends in Canada see:
- Canadian Media Directors' Council Media Digest - Canadian media trends (very large PDF file)
- Canadian Alamanac and Directory (select your 'organization type' e.g. newspaper, broadcaster etc. )
See also this list of books on campaigns and writing style in PR.
See also Garner’s modern American usage.