CIVE 432 - Technical Paper
- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
On this page
- Library workshop documentation
- Office hours
- Useful reference sources
- Finding books
- Finding journal articles
- Obtaining materials that are not available at McGill
- Writing and referencing your paper
- Library resources for CIVE 432
(slides from in-class presentation on Apr. 17, 2014)
- Researching and Citing for your Technical Paper
(workshop slides from Nov. 2013)
- "Researching and Citing for your Technical Paper" Research Toolkit (handout)
- Guide to Using EndNote (handout)
- Checklist for Reading and Thinking Critically about Research Articles (handout)
Office hours are held in Room 206 on the main floor of Schulich Library. Please tara [dot] mawhinney [at] mcgill [dot] ca (email me) to make other arrangements if you are not available at one of the following times:
- Tues. June 3, 2014, 11-12pm
- Tues. June 10, 2014, 11-12pm
|Civil engineer's reference book||eBook|
|Dictionary of civil engineering English-French||eBook|
|Eshbach's handbook of engineering fundamentals||eBook|
|Van Nostrand's scientific encyclopedia||eBook|
|Dictionary of environmental science and engineering||Reference GE10 P43 2008|
|Environmental engineers' handbook||eBook|
|Sustainable development for engineers: a handbook and resource guide||eBook|
|Geotechnical earthquake engineering||eBook|
|Geotechnical engineering investigation handbook||TA705 H86 2005|
Hydraulic and water resources engineering
|Dictionary of water and waste management, second edition||eBook | Reference TD9 S37 2002|
|Encyclopedia of hydrological sciences||eBook|
|Handbook of water and wastewater treatment technologies||eBook|
|Structural engineering handbook||TA635 S77 1997|
|Handbook of construction tolerances||eBook|
|Handbook of transport systems and traffic control||TA1151 H36 2001|
|Handbook of transportation engineering||TA1151 H34 2004|
Suggested subjects to search in the library catalogue:
You can replicate these results by going to the Advanced Search and typing words into the Subject field.
To refine any of these searches, type additional words into your search.
Useful databases for finding journal articles:
- Compendex – for all aspects of engineering
- Web of Science – multidisciplinary
- Scopus – multidisciplinary
- Environmental Sciences and Pollution Management – includes environmental engineering, energy resources, waste management, and water resource issues
- Applied Science and Technology Full Text – intended for undergraduate students
- Environmental Engineering Abstracts – covers technological and engineering aspects of air and water quality, environmental safety, and energy production
- Transport – covers transportation research information on all surface transportation modes, air transport, and highway safety
- Water Resources Abstracts – covers the world's literature of water-related topics including the characteristics, conservation, control, pollution, treatment, use and management of water resources
How to find articles using keyword searching in databases:
Sample search: biodiesel fuel AND energy source in Scopus
Ways to decrease results
Search words as a phrase
e.g. "biodiesel fuel" AND "energy source"
Combine additional terms with AND to generate fewer results
e.g. "biodiesel fuel" AND "energy source" AND soybean
Select one of the database's limit types
e.g. publication type, language, publication date
Search for words only in a particular field
e.g. biodiesel AND energy in article title only
Ways to increase results
Search using fewer terms
e.g. biodiesel AND energy
Use truncation to allow the terms to end in various ways
e.g. biodiesel AND soybean*
Use synonyms or similar concepts, combining them with OR to generate more results
e.g. (biodiesel OR biofuel) AND (energy OR heating)
Get new ideas for search terms
Use descriptors in the database if they are available (also called subjects, controlled vocabulary or controlled terms)
McGill students and staff may order articles and books not available at McGill using COLOMBO (interlibrary loan).
There are no charges for ordering through COLOMBO; McGill subsidizes these services.
Please do not wait until it is too late for us to help you with COLOMBO.
Consult these resources for tips on how to write a research paper. Click on the call number to find out where the book is located.
|The ACS style guide: effective communication of scientific information||eBook|
|The Elements of style||eBook | PE1408 S772 2007|
|The Little, Brown essential handbook||PE1112 A27 2008|
|The Little, Brown handbook||Reference PE1112 F685 2011|
Making sense: a student's guide to research and writing : engineering and the technical sciences
|T11 N675 2012|
|Pocket book of technical writing for engineers and scientists||T11 F53 2000|
|Style and ethics of communication in science and engineering||eBook|
|Writing research papers: a complete guide||LB2369 L4 2012|
- You can download EndNote citation management software for free. With this software you can get references directly from many databases, such as Web of Science.
- EndNote can automate the formatting of your references in ACS (American Chemical Society) style. The ACS Style Guide can be found here. A custom output style (CIVE 432 2014.ens) has been made for this course that has modified it to be an Author-Date style instead of a Numbered style:
For Windows: Save the .ens file to your downloads. Next, copy and paste the file to C:\Program files\EndNote\Styles.
For Macs: Save the .ens file in Applications:EndNote:Styles.
- Please note, use Firefox as your browser for best results when using EndNote on a Mac.
- EndNote Web is now available at McGill University. To access EndNote Web you need to create a personal account. You may sign up for an account with your McGill email address at www.myendnoteweb.com.
- There are library workshops given on how to use this software effectively.