On February 13, the McGill Library will launch a trial of the meeScan self-serve checkout service. meeScan is a cloud-based self-checkout system that allows you to use your smartphone, tablet, or a library provided iPad to check out materials. The system uses the built-in camera in a smartphone or tablet to scan the item barcode, allowing users to check items out themselves. meeScan is user-friendly and simple to setup!
Two meeScan units will be available for use in the Humanities and Social Sciences Library self-serve reserves room and the Schulich Library of Physical Sciences, Life Sciences, and Engineering.
Get the app!
- Visit your app store and search for “meeScan”. Download and open the app on your device. Allow meeScan to access your camera and to send you notifications.
Got the app? Check out a book in 3 easy steps!
- Activate meeScan.
- Touch “START” at the welcome screen. Note: If your device screen is very small, you may have to scroll down to see the button.
- Press the camera icon to scan the McGill Library Activation Code.
- If asked, please allow meeScan to use your location.
- Use meeScan to borrow
- Touch “START” at the welcome screen.
- First time around, you’ll be asked to enter your McGill username/password (i.e. students/faculty/staff) or barcode#/PIN (i.e. alumni, BCI, memberships). Please ask library staff for help if you’re not sure what to enter.
- In the checkout screen, use the “+” button to check out items.
- Scan your item(s) with your device.*
- Demagnetize items
- Make sure to demagnetize each item at any meeScan station using the meeScan tray.
- Your app will automatically show demagnetized items and indicate when you’re ready to go.
- Touch “FINISH” button. A receipt listing borrowed items will be emailed to you.
*Useful hints for scanning:
- Fit the entire barcode in the viewfinder.
- Camera needs time to focus.
- Hold the phone steady.
- Don’t get too close.
- The best distance is around 15cm / 6”.
- Avoid glare. Tilt the phone if necessary.
- Use flash in low light.
Check out with meeScan today!
We welcome your feedback! Please let us know what you think about meeScan here.