Full Professor (on leave)
David Lametti is a Professor of Law at McGill University. He was Associate Dean (Academic) between 2008 and 2011. He is a Member of the Institute of Comparative Law, and was a founding Member of the Centre for Intellectual Property Policy (CIPP); he served as its Director from 2009 to 2012. Professor Lametti obtained a B.A. in Economics and Political Science from the University of Toronto in 1985, and received his first Common and Civil law degrees from McGill in 1989. He received an LL.M. from the Yale Law School in 1991, and a doctorate in law at Oxford University; his thesis was entitled “Ethical Aspects of the Theory and Practice of Private Property”. Professor Lametti was a clerk to Justice Peter Cory of the Supreme Court of Canada in 1989-90.
Professor Lametti teaches and writes in the areas of Civil and Common law property, intellectual property and property theory. His work to date has attempted to understand the parameters of traditional and intellectual resources in analytic terms, linking them to their underlying justifications and ethical goals. His current writing is grounded in the tradition of Virtue Ethics, and touches upon property, intellectual property and social norms.
In October 2015, David Lametti was elected MP for LaSalle—Émard—Verdun. In December 2015, he was named Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of International Trade; in January 2019, he was named Canada's Minister of Justice.
- Full Professor, McGill Faculty of Law, 2015-
- Director, Centre for Intellectual Property Policy, 2010-2012
- Associate Dean (Academic), 2008-2011
- Director of research, CIPP, 2007-2010
- Associate Professor, McGill Faculty of Law, 2003-2015
- Member, Centre for Intellectual Property Policy, McGill University, 2003-
- Director, Institute of Comparative Law, McGill University, 2002-2004
- Acting Director, Institute of Comparative Law, McGill University, Jan.1-Dec.31, 2000
- Assistant Professor, McGill Faculty of Law, 1997-2003
- University Lecturer, McGill Faculty of Law, 1996-97
- Faculty Lecturer, McGill Faculty of Law, 1995-96
- Visiting Research Fellow, University of New Brunswick Faculty of Law, 1994-95
- Junior Dean, Exeter College Oxford University, 1993-94
- Law Clerk to Mr. Justice Peter Cory, Supreme Court of Canada, 1989-90
- BA Toronto (Econ & Pol Sci), 1985
- BCL, LLB McGill, 1989
- LLM Yale, 1991
- DPhil Oxford, 1999
Areas of Interest
Intellectual property, legal and political philosophy, common and civil law property and aboriginal title.