kun.fan [at] mcgill.ca (Email)
Kun Fan is an Associate Professor of Law at the Faculty of Law, where she teaches and researches in the areas of mediation, arbitration and comparative legal studies. In October 2017, she was named a Norton Rose Fulbright Faculty Scholar in Arbitration & Commercial Law. She is also appointed as a member of the Institute of Transnational Arbitration Academic Council, and serves in the Executive Committee of International Task Force on Mixed Mode Dispute Resolution, and Co-Chairs the Working Group 1.
Professor Fan has studied and worked in China, Singapore, U.S.A., Switzerland, France, Hong Kong and Canada, and speaks Chinese, English and French. With her training in both the East and the West, in both common law and civil law jurisdictions, she is particularly interested in broad intellectual inquiries across national, disciplinary and professional boundaries. Before joining the McGill's Faculty of Law, she was Assistant Professor at the Chinese University of Hong Kong. She has also been a Visiting Scholar at Harvard Yenching Institute.
Professor Fan has conducted several research projects as a principal investigator on various topics related to alternative dispute resolution. She is author of the book Arbitration in China: A Legal and Cultural Analysis (Hart Publishing) and has published extensively on cutting-edge issues in a variety of leading international journals. In recognition of her academic contribution, she received the award of the Best Research Outputs for Arbitration Theory in 2015 by China Arbitration Research Institute, Support for High-impact Scholarship 2013-2014 by the Committee on Focused Innovations Scheme, and Best Thesis in International Studies by the Swiss Network for International Studies Award in 2011.
Apart from academic research, Professor Fan also has extensive experience in ADR practice, and has worked as counsel, expert, secretary for the arbitration tribunal and arbitrator in a number of international arbitrations and domain name disputes, and has overseen over a hundred arbitrations administered by the ICC International Court of Arbitration when she worked as a Deputy Counsel.
Fan Kun is called to the New York Bar, Executive Council Member of the China Academy of Arbitration Law, Domain Names Panelist of the Hong Kong International Arbitration Center (“HKIAC”) and the Asian Domain Name Dispute Resolution Centre (“ADNDRC”), Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Accredited Mediator of the Hong Kong Mediation Accreditation Association Limited, and Arbitrator of Zhuhai Arbitration Commission International Arbitration Court and Nanjing Arbitration Commission.
- Ph.D., summa cum laude, University of Geneva, Switzerland, 2006-2011
Supervisors: Prof. Gabrielle Kaufmann-Kohler, University of Geneva and Prof. Lu Song, China Foreign Affairs University
- D.U. in International Dispute Resolution, University of Paris XII, France, 2008-2009
- LL.M. in Corporate Law, New York University School of Law, U.S.A., 2005-2006
- LL.B., China Foreign Affairs University, China, 2000-2004
- Associate Professor, Faculty of Law, McGill University, 2016-2019
- Assistant Professor, Faculty of Law, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, 2009-2016
- Visiting Scholar, Harvard Yenching Institute, U.S.A., 2012-2013
- Senior Consultant, Arbitration Asia, Hong Kong, 2011-2016
- Deputy Counsel, Secretariat of the International Court of Arbitration, France, 2008-2009
- Foreign Legal Advisor, Colin Ng & Partners, Singapore, 2004-2005
- Admitted to the New York Bar (2008- )
- Accredited Mediator, Hong Kong Mediation Accreditation Association Limited (HKMAAL)
- Domain Names Panelist, Hong Kong International Arbitration Center
- Domain Names Panelist, Asian Domain Name Dispute Resolution Centre
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Member of the Institute of Transnational Arbitration Academic Council
- Executive Committee Member of International Task Force on Mixed Mode Dispute Resolution. Co-Chair of the Working Group 1 on Mediators Using Non-Binding Evaluations and Making Settlement Proposals
- Executive Council Member of the China Academy of Arbitration Law
- Member of the Young International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA)
- Member of the Meridian 180: Transforming the Transpacific Dialogue
- Arbitrator of Zhuhai Arbitration Commission International Arbitration Court
- Arbitrator of Nanjing Arbitration Commission
Awards and honours
- Norton Rose Fulbright Faculty Scholarships in Arbitration and Commercial Law (2017-2020)
- The Best Research Outputs for Arbitration Theory in 2015 awarded by China Arbitration Research Institute
- Focused Innovations Scheme: Support for High-impact Scholarship 2013-14
“This nomination carried enough justifications and evidence for high impact.”
- 2011 SNIS Award for the Best Thesis in International Studies
“The jury found that your subject was timely, addressed in a very original manner and presented in a well-articulated and appropriate form with a logical flow of arguments. All important SNIS criteria were met; your work is an excellent example of interdisciplinary research and your conclusions and proposals reach out beyond academia to policy makers on various levels.”
- Summa cum laude for Ph.D. thesis
- Selected to present a paper at the Fourth Annual Harvard-Stanford International Junior Faculty Forum (IJFF) at Harvard Law School in November 2011.
“Harvard Law School and Stanford Law School co-hosted the fourth annual Harvard-Stanford International Junior Faculty Forum (IJFF) in November, bringing 11 of the world’s most innovative junior legal scholars from around the world to present their work.”
- Selected to present a paper at the 2nd Annual ITA Winter Forum, organized by the Center for American and International Law, in Miami in January 2013.
“The two most important works in progress] have been selected from 57 submissions through a rigorous review process… Our objective is to integrate the unique insights of practitioners and academics and promote the evolution of international arbitration during a time of global transition.”
Areas of Interest
- International Dispute Settlement
- Comparative Legal Studies
- Global Legal Studies
- Chinese Law and Society