Welcome to the Faculty of Law at McGill University.
In anticipation of your upcoming graduate studies, please read the information below.
Lectures begin on September 5, 2017. See Key Academic Dates.
The information below outlines the registration process step-by-step, as well as the schedule for advising sessions and orientation activities. If you have any questions or concerns, please grad.law [at] mcgill.ca (email us). We look forward to meeting you in September!
Registration for the Fall 2017 and Winter 2018 academic year for new graduate students opens on Minerva as of July 4, 2017 (9:00 a.m. - Montreal time).
- Official registration period: July 4, 2017 to August 14, 2017; otherwise a late registration fee will be charged.
- Register for BOTH the Fall 2017 and Winter 2018 terms (Note for Graduate Certificate students: Please register for the Fall 2017 term only)
+ Fall 2017 = 201709, CRN # 2334
+ Winter 2018 = 201801, CRN # 2262
- Log into Minerva
- Click on Student > Registration Menu > Search Class Schedule and Add Course Sections
- Select a term (Fall 2017)
- Select REGN - Registration for Subject
- Click Course Search at bottom of page
- Find RCGR - Confirm Grad Reg
- Click on View Sections
- Check off the box for CRN 2334
- Follow instructions (Repeat this process for Winter 2018, choosing CRN 2262)
Register for all compulsory courses listed on your Course selection form (see below). As well, register for any 500 or 600 level elective courses you wish to take in the Faculty of Law. (Refer to the Course Offerings' website below.)
Please also review the information posted on the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (GPS) website regarding registration and orientation. All incoming graduate students must complete a mandatory on-line Academic Integrity Tutorial on Minerva.
Please review the following documents in order to assist you with registration and course selection:
- Registration materials 2017-2018, which set out the policies and procedures for the graduate programs in law
- Course Offerings 2017-2018 and Exam Schedules, which list all 500 and 600 level courses offered in the Faculty of Law*
* Scroll down to Course Offerings 2017-2018. Graduate students are eligible to register for 500-level courses or higher. Information on 600-level courses and above is listed on the Graduate Courses tab. Information on 500-level courses is included in the following tabs: Electives, Civil Law Immersion, Common Law Immersion, Complementary Social Diversity, Human Rights and Indigenous Law, and Principles of [Canadian] Administrative Law. Make sure to look for sections 009 and 010.
Orientation (advising, presentations, etc.)
All newly admitted graduate students will meet with the members of the Graduate Programs Office (GPO) for group advising sessions and orientation activities. Students must register for relevant courses prior to attending the sessions. The sessions and activities will take place on Friday, September 1 in the New Chancellor Day Hall (3644 Peel).
Friday, September 1, 2017
9:30 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
|LLM Non-Thesis and GC students||Advising session||NCDH 312|
10:30 a.m. - 11:15 a.m.
|LLM Thesis students||Advising session||NCDH 312|
11:30 a.m - 12:30 p.m.
|LLM Non-Thesis, Thesis, GC, and DCL students||Various presentations||NCDH 312|
12:30 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
|LLM Non-Thesis, Thesis, GC, and DCL students||Welcome lunch!||NCDH - third floor|
2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
|LLM Non-Thesis, Thesis, GC, and DCL students||Meeting with the GLSA||NCDH 312|
All newly admitted D.C.L. students are also asked to meet with the Associate Dean for a group advising session on the following dates/times; please contact our office at grad.law [at] mcgill.ca to schedule your appointment before August 4, 2017:
|Tuesday, August 29||10:00 a.m or 2:00 p.m.|
|Wednesday, August 30||10:00 a.m. or 2:00 p.m.|
Please bring the following documents to your advising session:
- Course selection form (links below), duly completed and signed
- Printed copy of MINERVA transcript
Additional Welcome and Orientation Activities
Each year, the Faculty of Law and the Graduate Law Students Association welcome new students and help them get settled in. McGill University also provides information and support to welcome graduate students from around the world.
Moreover, a graduate student will be available on August 29, 30 , and 31 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.) in the Graduate Students Lounge (Room 304, New Chancellor Day Hall) to assist new students with registration and answer any questions.
There will also be ICS computer information/training sessions provided at IT Knowledge Base; please sign up here. N.B. Enter your own email address in the supervisor section.
Please consult the current 2017 graduate orientation schedule [.pdf] for additional information (as of August 25).
Course Selections Forms
These forms are program specific; please ensure you are completing the correct form according to your exact program of study.
Air and Space Law
- LLM Thesis [.pdf]