Staying safe online is part of every student's journey at McGill.
Many McGill students are attending classes from off campus this term. Stay safe online during your remote studies to help ensure your continued success and the safety of McGill.
Here are some resources and activities to help you stay cybersecure wherever you are.
Beginning your McGill journey: Start safely
- Learn to recognize phishing scams that attempt to steal your personal information.
- Strengthen your Password:
- Create a strong password that is unique to your McGill account.
- Use a different password for each platform or system.
- Use Two-Factor Authentication on your McGill account:
- New students are automatically enrolled.
- Reminder to returning students: Don't forget to opt in!
- Use your McGill username and password to access most online services and IT systems at McGill.
Learning securely at McGill: Connect and collaborate
- Collaborate with your classmates on secure, McGill-approved platforms:
- Use the McGill Virtual Private Network (VPN) to securely connect.
- Familiarize yourself with McGill's responsible use policies for IT technology resources.
- Learn how to safely use McGill's cloud applications in this short video:
Staying vigilant: Protect your personal information
- Scams - learn to recognize and avoid falling victim to fraudulent communication.
- Store your data safely on McGill-approved applications:
- Keep your devices protected and up to date:
- Stay safe online: Keep your data and computer safe while using the Internet.
- Use trusted apps and networks:
- Social media - use with caution: Oversharing can lead to serious consequences. Stay safe with these guidelines.
- Shop safely online: Help protect yourself against consumer fraud with these tips.