Thanks to responses from the campus community, the Office of the CIO has amassed this list of software suggestions for review:
- Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Premium
- Adobe CS3 Master Collection
- Adobe Dreamweaver
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Premiere
- ESRI ArcInfo
- Autodesk AutoCAD Revit Suite
- Dassault Systemes Catia
- CambridgeSoft ChemDraw
- CambridgeSoft ChemOffice Ultra
- Gehry Technologies Digital Project
- AutoDesSys Form Z
- Wolfram Research Mathematica
- Next Limit Technologies Maxwell Render
- Microsoft Visio
- Symantec Norton AntiVirus 11 for Macs
- Grahl Software PDF Annotator
- Next Limit Technologies RealFlow
- McNeel Rhino 4.0
- Mecsoft RhinoCAM
- StataCorp Stata
- Aleksander Simonic WinEdit
Results of the review will be announced in the upcoming months. Please watch the Software Licensing Advisory Committee web page for more on outcomes.
Make a suggestion
You can still submit your software suggestion. To do so, please include a brief explanation of how it works toward the goals of the CIO's mission regarding academic software.
Those goals are:
- to obtain the best possible price on campus for use of software for research, teaching and administration
- to remove administrative burden on lab managers, units, and individuals in negotiating and purchasing site licenses at the unit-level
- to reduce the occurrence of software piracy
- to promote the use of preferred or mandated software on campus, including open-source solutions
With your brief explanation, please also include (if possible) an estimate of the anticipated number of software users and any people or areas using it on campus.
Email your responses to: cio [at] mcgill.ca.