In our ongoing efforts to provide the McGill community with the most up to date, secure and reliable email service possible, staff mailboxes will be moved to Exchange server 2010 in batches, in the coming weeks. Student mailboxes were successfully moved in Spring 2011.
The move will begin starting on or about August 8. All staff still on the Exchange server 2007 have been sent an advance email with pertinent details, including any action you may need to take in preparation. In addition, you will receive a personal email notification from IT Services the day before your own account is moved, specifying the date.
Consult these Knowledge Base articles:
- Exchange 2010 – Staff mailboxes moving Summer 2010. An overview.
- New features of Outlook Web App on Exchange 2010. Details of a much-improved, feature-rich and Mac friendly web interface.
- Management of email distribution lists –change in MS Exchange 2010 *** Important: If you manage (i.e. add or modify the membership of) an email distribution list, please read this.
To prepare for a seamless migration:
If you are using an email client, such as MS Outlook or Entourage, or a device such as an iPod Touch, we strongly recommend the following:
- Go to the Index of configuration articles for recommended email clients and devices. We have updated all email configuration articles in the IT Knowledge Base with the optimal settings for all changes.
- If you are not already using one of the recommended clients and versions, please install one and use the instructions provided to configure it to access your McGill Email.
- Laptop users: If you access McGill email using IMAP or POP protocols on any client, change your outgoing server to use the new SMTP server. For instructions, see the appropriate configuration article in the Index article above.
If you only access your McGill Email via the myMcGill portal or via Outlook Web Access (https://exchange.mcgill.ca) you don’t need to do anything. You will soon enjoy all the features of OWA on Mac as well as Windows, and across Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer.