Visiting Students

Visiting and Exchange Students and Graduate Research Trainees 

McGill welcomes students from other universities to take courses or do research for a definite period of time.

If there is an agreement with your university, you could come as an Exchange Student. You would have to get approval from your department and the Study Abroad office at your university prior to submitting an application on uApply. For a list of universities with which McGill has exchange agreements, please see this link. (Since the list might not be up to date, please check with your university on the existence of an agreement with McGill.) Note that if you are a student in a Quebec university, the application should be made on CREPUQ.

If there is no agreement between McGill and your home university, you apply as a Visiting Student on uApply. Unlike in the case of Exchange Students, Visiting Students have to pay the application fee and pay tuition and fees at McGill.

If you would like to come to McGill for the sole purpose of doing reasearch for a period of maximum 12 months, you need to apply for the Graduate Research Trainee status. You must have the approval of your department and of an Institute faculty to apply for this status. For complete information on requirements and the application procedure, please click here.