PhD, Sociology (McGill)
- Gender, development and globalization;
- Islamism and women in Iran;
- Women and peace in Afghanistan;
- Gender, Islam, development and peace-building;
- Women in the Middle East and North Africa Region
- Women's formal and informal employment in Iran;
- Muslim Women in North America
- “Choice, Constraint and Power: Women From Low Income Households in Iran, International Journal of Feminist Economics, Feminist Economics Journal: Special Issue on Women in the Muslim World, 2014.
- “Iran,” The Oxford Encyclopedia of Islam and Women, 2013.
- Gender and Entrepreneurship in Iran: Microenterprise and the Informal Sector; New York: Palgrave Macmillan Lt. (2013).
- Gender in Contemporary Iran: Pushing the Boundaries London: Rutledge; with (Eric Hoolgund 2011).
- Veiled Employment: Islamism and the Political Economy of Women's Employment in Iran; Syracuse University Press; Syracuse; (with Hadi Salehi-Esfahani 2011).
- "Iran: The Axis of Evil", International Journal of Feminist Politics 10:1 (2008).
- "Family Planning, Islam and Women's Human Rights in Iran", International Development Studies Journal, 4:1, 33-50, (Summer 2007).
- "Female Employment and Globalization During Iran's Reform Era (1997-2005)", The Journal of Middle East Women's Studies, 3:2, 56-86 (Spring 2007).
- Liberation from Liberalization: A Gender Perspective on Southeast Asia. London: Zed Books, 2005.
- "Myth and Realities of the Impact of Islam on Women: Women's Changing Marital Status in Iran," Critique: Journal of Middle Eastern Studies, Vol.15. No 2, 111-128, Summer 2006. With Shahla Kazemipour.
- "Coping with Globalization: Female-Headed Households in Iran", The Canadian Journal of International Development, in press 2006-7.
- "The War on Terror, Feminist Orientalism and Orientalist Feminism: Case Studies of Two North American Bestsellers," Critique: Journal of Middle Eastern Studies, Vol.14, No 2, 223-237, Summer 2005.
- "Myths and Realities of the Impact of Political Islam on Women: Female Employment in Iran and Indonesia," Development in Practice, Vol. 14, No 4, June 2004.
- "Market Fundamentalism versus Religious Fundamentalism," Critique: Journal of Middle Eastern Studies, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 33-46, Spring 2004.
- "Islamic Fundamentalism and Women's Employment in Iran," International Journal of Politics, Culture, and Society. Vol. 16, No 4, pp. 551-568, Summer 2003.