Teacher certification in Canada

Teacher candidates who wish to teach in another province or in another country must first apply for and receive their Teacher Certification in Quebec before applying directly to the Teacher Certification Agency in the other relevant province or country.

If you are a currently enrolled in the B.Ed program at McGill, visit the Teacher Certification page. For MATL students, please contact the matl.education [at] mcgill.ca (MATL program coordinator). It is recommended that applicants intending to teach in locations other than the Province of Quebec obtain information beforehand concerning the requirements for certification. 




Prince Edward Island 

British Columbia 



Northwest Territories 

New Brunswick


Nova Scotia 


Newfoundland and Labrador 






McGill University is on land which long served as a site of meeting and exchange amongst Indigenous peoples, including the Haudenosaunee and Anishinabeg nations. We acknowledge and thank the diverse Indigenous people whose footsteps have marked this territory on which peoples of the world now gather. Learn more.

Back to top