The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is mandated to lead and coordinate international action to protect refugees and resolve refugee problems worldwide. Its primary purpose is to safeguard the rights and well-being of refugees. It strives to ensure that everyone can exercise the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge in another State, with the option to return home voluntarily, integrate locally or to resettle in a third country.
The UNHCR Country Office in Guatemala is located in Guatemala City and works jointly with the Government and civil society organizations to provide protection and assistance to asylum seekers, refugees, persons in transit with international protection needs and persons forcedly displaced.
It is important to note that, the language of the office and direct work with persons of concern is in Spanish, while much of the internal work within the Unit and resettlement countries is in English, so an excellent working knowledge of both Spanish and English is required.
The UNHCR Guatemala is recruiting one McGill student for the remote position of Resettlement Intern for summer 2021.
- Remote internship position
- 12 weeks internship between May and August 2021
- Full-time (35 hours per week)
- Successful candidates will receive an award issued by the McGill Internship Offices Network valued at $6,000CDN
To be eligible for this internship, you must:
- Be a McGill full-time undergraduate or graduate student (Master level), returning to their current registered faculty in fall 2021.
- Be enrolled in a degree in Law or Social Sciences or related fields.
- Very good knowledge of Spanish (written and oral) mandatory.
- Very good knowledge of English (written and oral) mandatory.
- Fulfill the Internship Offices Network requirements post-internship. For more information download the ION Intern handbook on this page.
Download the internship posting: UNHCR Guatemala Summer 2021
Carefully read the application instructions before submitting your documents.
Please note: If you are applying to a second degree at McGill and waiting for a response, you must hold a confirmation of acceptance by the application deadline and include it with your application material.
February 22, 2021, 12PM (noon) Eastern Time - Late applications will not be accepted.
Please do not email to inquire about the status of your application. Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide a full commitment to the internship selection process by UNHCR Guatemala and waive any other internship opportunity at this time.
A formal acceptance of an ION internship is a final decision, and under no circumstances (unless health or family-related) can a student withdraw from the internship after accepting. The consequence of this would be refusal of candidature for future ION internship opportunities. Please remember, revoking a spot in one of the organizations means also revoking it from another student who might have had the opportunity to take it.