In honour of journalist and broadcaster Peter Gzowski, CBC Radio has created an internship program for university students in his name. McGill University students in the final year of their program are eligible to apply.
The Gzowski interns will each receive a week of training in the basics of journalism, radio and online production. McGill interns will be placed with CBC Radio Montreal to learn about the craft of making great radio. Interns will contribute to local radio programs and online content such as Daybreak, Radio Noon, or Let’s go, and usually do a range of duties including researching, writing, interviewing, and sound gathering.
CBC Montreal is a local newsroom. Candidates should have a strong interest in local news, and an involvement and/or interest in Montreal's communities.
We are looking for applicants who:
- Have a working knowledge of French
- Work well in a team
- Demonstrate a high degree of creativity
- Are curious about the world
- Are engaged in their communities
- Can imagine themselves one day working for the public broadcaster
- Must be a graduating McGill student, completing their studies in fall 2020 or winter 2021.
- Applicants who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents must have a valid work permit by the start of the internship period.
- Must fulfill all requirements from the McGill Internship Offices Network. For more information download the ION Intern Handbook on this page.
Download the internship posting: CBC Gzowski Internship Summer 2021
Carefully read application instructions before submitting your documents. Completed applications should be submitted via email to ion [at] mcgill.ca
APPLICATION DEADLINE: January 25, 2021. 12:00pm noon EST.
SELECTION: Please do not email to inquire about the status of your application. Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide a full commitment to the internship selection process by the CBC and waive any other internship opportunity at this time.
A formal acceptance of an ION internship is a final decision, and under no circumstances (unless health or family-related) can a student withdraw from the internship after accepting. The consequence of this would be refusal of candidature for future ION internship opportunities. Please remember, revoking a spot in one of the organizations means also revoking it from another student who might have had the opportunity to take it.
The remote internship will run for 16 weeks, from May to August, 2021. Exact dates TBA.