Checklist for Your Quarantine Period
Are you worried about how to fill up your days during your 14-day quarantine? ISS has organized a logistics checklist and a list of activities and mental health resources to ensure a healthy and smooth transition to daily life in Montreal. Checking the items off this list will help you get ahead on the logistics of settling into Montreal and Canada and will also help you keep busy.
- Enroll on the McGill Quarantine Listserv to get connected to others in quarantine and get an invite to our virtual quarantine party!
- Compare and purchase a cell phone plan(ex. Videotron, TELUS, Bell, Virigin Mobile)
- Note: Most telecommunications companies allow you to order your SIM card online. Make sure to compare phone plans before purchasing a SIM card
- Order online groceries (Walmart is the only grocery store that will accept international Visas until you can open a Canadian bank account)
- Research banks and student plans (ex. TD, Scotia Bank, RBC, Bank of Montreal, Desjardins)
- Browse the list of student clubs and associations you may want to join
- Read up about your International Student Health Insurance (IHI) Plan
- Follow ISS on Facebook and Instagram
Fun things to do during quarantine:
- Attend the ISS Welcome Week events virtually
- Watch TV or a movie.
- Check out some Canadian streaming websites where you can watch Canadian shows such as Crave, Netflix Canada, CBC Gem, Amazon Prime, etc.
- Movies: By logging into the McGill VPN, you can access great movies through the Criterion Collection
- Download and stream movies and documentaries through the McGill Library
- Read about all the virtual events happening in Montreal via MTL Blog
- Watch live concerts
- Watch cute animal cams (Puppies and donkeys, Kittens, Koalas, Pandas and Penguins)
- Workout virtually with McGill Athletics
- Host a virtual catch up session with friends and family
- Do some DIY projects (Michaels offers same day delivery)
- Create a bucket list for your time in Montreal (Trip Advisor, Best Restaurants Fall 2020)
- Create a vision board
- Go on virtual museum tours
Health and Wellness Resources
Therapy Assisted Online (TAO): McGill students have free access to therapy modules, mindfulness library, and more.
Meditation & Mindfulness apps:
- Insight Timer
- Ten Percent
- McGill Peer Support Center (by appointment, weekdays from 9am-7pm. Closed Dec 22 for the holidays)
- McGill Student Nightline (chatline open 6pm-3am every day)
- Vent over Tea (not McGill affiliated)
McGill Student Wellness Hub (closed from from Dec. 24 2020 – January 3rd 2020 inclusively)
- Book an appointment with your Local Wellness Advisor online here
- Book an appointment with a nurse, doctor, or counselor, by calling 514 398-6017
- Register for remote programming. Some programs to highlight:
Maple Virtual Care: remote 24/7 consultations with doctors, available from within Canada, free for international students on IHI plan
Keep.meSAFE: remote 24/7 counseling services available to McGill students from anywhere in the world (in up to 60 different languages)