Please visit our COVID-19 page for the latest news, resources, and FAQs.

COVID-19 Updates from International Student Services
International students with a valid study permit or study permit approval letter can now travel to Canada as long as they are registered at a designated learning institution (DLI) with an approved COVID-19 readiness plan. McGill is one of the institutions on the list of DLIs with an approved COVID-19 readiness plan. Students travelling to Canada will need to have a self-quarantine plan to ensure that they can self-isolate for 14 days after arrival.

Please visit our COVID-19 page for additional news, resources, and FAQs.

Implied Status vs Out of Status

Before reviewing the information below, please see ISS' COVID-19 FAQs and resources pages for up to date information on the impact of COVID-19 on immigration related matters.

Is your study permit expiring soon? Has it already expired? Not sure what to do next?

Here’s what you should know:

  1. If you apply to extend your study permit from inside of Canada before it expires, you can continue studying under implied status – you can continue to study until you receive an answer on your new study permit application but only if you remain in Canada.
  2. In order to obtain a new study permit, you will need to have a valid CAQ that covers the period you wish to extend your study permit for – if you receive an “Intention of refusal” letter from Immigration Quebec, contact ISS RIGHT AWAY.
  3. If you are concerned that you may not receive your new CAQ before your study permit expires – contact ISS RIGHT AWAY.
  4. If you are in Canada and you do not apply to extend your study permit before it expires – you have lost your status as a student and are no longer authorized to study or work in Canada until you obtain a new study permit.*

*NOTE: There is no “90 day grace period” during which you may continue studying once your study permit has expired.


  • International students in Canada have 90 days from the date they lost their status to apply to restore their status as a student – an application to restore your status can only be made from inside Canada. You are NOT authorized to study or work while waiting for an answer.
  • Renewing your immigration documents? Contact ISS RIGHT AWAY, if:
    • You receive a CAQ intention of refusal letter;
    • Your CAQ or study permit application is refused;
    • You have lost your status as a student.
  • Planning on travelling? Contact ISS RIGHT AWAY, if:
    • You currently have implied status;
    • You are currently out of status and have applied for restoration; OR
    • Your study permit expires while outside of Canada.

Still have questions or concerns?
Contact International Student Services!


Back to top