ISS is here for you.

All services continue to be offered remotely during regular business hours.

COVID-19 Updates from International Student Services: August 2021: Easing of border measures coming into effect on August 9th, 2021 at 12:01am (ET). 
The latest updates can be found on the Entering Canada page.
            1. International students with a valid study permit (or approval letter) can travel to Canada (McGill is on the list of DLIs with an approved COVID-19 readiness plan). Before making travel plans, please refer to our Entering Canada page.
            2. Fully vaccinated travellers authorized to enter Canada by land or by air, are now exempt from the federal requirement to undergo a 14-day quarantine. The 14-day quarantine continues to be required for all other travellers who are not considered fully vaccinated.
           3. For more information, please refer to McGill's quarantine resources and IHI’s vaccination FAQs.

Please visit our COVID-19 page for additional news, resources, and FAQs.

Exchange Students

BIOMETRICS REQUIREMENT EXPANDED TO INSIDE CANADA APPLICATIONS: As of December 3, 2019, you must submit biometrics in order to extend or apply for an immigration document from inside Canada – e.g. study permit, work permit, visitor record, and temporary resident visa (TRV/Visitor Visa/Entry Visa). See the ISS News Section (December 3, 2019 entry) and Immigration Canada’s website for more information. U.S. citizens are currently exempt from having to provide biometrics. For a full list of exemptions, see Immigration Canada’s website.

I've been granted an extension to my exchange - What do I do now?

In order to resume your studies in the next term, you must have a valid CAQ and study permit or have applied for your study permit from inside Canada before your visitor status or study permit expired (to benefit from maintained status).

If you wish to extend your exchange (e.g. from a one-term exchange to a two-term exchange), it is important that you:

  • discuss this with McGill and your home university; and
  • receive the necessary approvals as soon as possible so that you have enough time to apply for an extension of your CAQ and Study Permit or apply for and obtain your CAQ and Study Permit for the first time

If you already have a CAQ & Study Permit

You must:

  1. Apply for a new CAQ, and then
  2. Apply to extend your Study Permit by or before its expiration date

If you apply to extend your Study Permit before it expires, you will benefit from maintained status until a decision is made on your application as long as you remain in Canada. This means that you may continue to work and study as per the conditions of your previous permit while you wait for a decision on your application. Read more about maintained status.

If you do not have a CAQ & Study Permit 

You must:

  1. Apply for a CAQ, and then
  2. Apply to extend your stay in Canada as a student before the expiration of your authorized stay (generally 6 months from the date you entered Canada if your passport was not stamped or before the date that was handwritten on the stamp in your passport when you arrived).

If you apply to extend your stay in Canada before the expiration of your authorized stay, you may remain in Canada and continue your studies while your application is being processed. You are not authorized to work while your application is pending. If your application is refused, you must stop studying right away.

Renewing your TRV (Temporary Resident Visa)

Once you have obtained your Study Permit, you can apply online, from within Canada, for a new TRV.

Read more about how to renew your TRV.

Back to top